Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Latest batch of rice malt looks ready.

one thing I have found as it's been heating up is rinsing the grains morning and night helps keep the lacto at bay...
View attachment 27245
It smells so sweet found my chooks go crazy for it to.View attachment 27244
I tell ya what I love the hands on malting part.

2 days and this should be dry ready for the kiln.

Havnt posted in here for awhile almost a year now since my diagnosis.

I'm in a way better place than this time last year.

Life is good

The GF ive made this year has been good some of it better than I could of imagined.

Now to work on some better attenuation.
Attenuation? Now that's the (frugal) Ben I know! I was gonna say cheapskate but that's not really the right word. Those enzymes you're mucking with should get you there, but just like malting, it is just a learning curve.

A sort of Congress mash / Andrew Lavery Mash.
Pretty much for shits N giggles and come to think of it other than my first GF brew day with buckwheat and corn I've not actually seen what the grains can yield PPG wise without the help of Exogenous Enzymes .

To mimic my real time grist to water ratio of 1kg grist : 6 lt water (thin I know).

100g homemade Rice Malt 550ml water.
I ground the rice to near flour consistency in the Thermomix.

This is a simple test really to see if I get any conversion from my rice malt using a replicated rising step mash with an Andrew Lavery semi decoction thrown in for geletanisation measures (rice geletanisation = 86 c ish).
Check out Andrew Lavery online to discover his GF mashing regimes if your a Gluten free brewer you'll have heard about this Awesome Aussie! Yeah not me lol ;) .

Dough in 45c beta-glucanase 25mins
20231125_135813.jpg

All steps and temp kept in this little beauty.

20231125_135816.jpg

This is what the mash looked like at dough in.

Next step = 55c protine rest.
Took a Brix measurement here and confirmed 0 brix heaps starchy milk like.
Held this for 30 mins.

Here's where the Semi decoction comes in I decanted the wort off the top of the grain into a YETI Flask and then proceeded to boil the rice for 10 minutes.
This is how my mash can look sometimes which scares the SH!t outta me on brew day!
20231125_144630.jpg

And this is rice not Buckwheat OMGo_O:eek:
( I measured the supernatant or decanted Enyme wort and it was 1 Brix. )
20231125_144707.jpg

I let this rice porridge cool back to 65c added an ice cube and 100ml of water then added back the Enzyme wort to this and held 65c for 1 hour.

This is what I came back to after the hour + walk with littlie.
20231125_162331.jpg

Oh OK! Dam it still starchy as F I took a sample of the milk and held it up to the light in the refractometer 5 Brix it read 1.020 of Rice milk lol.

It converted but 3 parts of F all, i know I wouldn't wanna boil that! Funnily enough this is very similar and reminiscent of what my first GF brew day wort looked like oh how far I've come....

So in went 2ml of High tempase Alpha Amylase enzymes more than enough to turn this milk into wait for it....
20231125_170757.jpg

This shows ya what that Enzyme stuff does takes milk and gives ya Wort Eh?
10Brix it landed on 1.040 around par for the course think this is pre boil post would be 1.048 ish anyhow I've proven I need these Exogenous Enzymes to get the job done.

Now to pour that sweet wort down the drain HANG ON let's make a starter outta this!

Doing another low Carbon the Nitrogen starter using the dilution calc on here 300ml 1.040 diluted to 2lt gives me 1.007ish wort 20g more of sugar got me to 1.012og wort with 1 teaspoon of Fermaid O and 1/2 teaspoon Fermaid K
Well boiling this up and pitching a 1st step diamond lager into this for Rice Lager hopefully next weekend
20231125_195330.jpg

This should be hitting its straps by tomorrow morning all if ya wanna see it in action I'll catch ya late morning on the Zoom.

Cheers:)

Last edited:
Your work on GF brewing is fantastic! When the book comes out, I want an autographed copy!
You'll get it for free just read what I've posted here lol ;) .

Hey if ya ever wanna brew a Gluten free bevvy for the Wifey ya know where to look:cool:

Thought I'd make a video series on how I go about malting rice at home for brewing with.

I'll be adding the next clip or two below ...

Any questions ask away!

I hope of you've stumbled upon this thread and come across this video I've helped you some how.

Let me know if you've malted rice or any other brewing grains for that matter.
I'm all eyes and ears and want to help make being a hombrewing Coeliac more easier!

Cheers

Thought I'd make a video series on how I go about malting rice at home for brewing with.

I'll be adding the next clip or two below ...

Any questions ask away!

I hope of you've stumbled upon this thread and come across this video I've helped you some how.

Let me know if you've malted rice or any other brewing grains for that matter.
I'm all eyes and ears and want to help make being a hombrewing Coeliac more easier!

Cheers
Very interesting. You are a patient man!

Part two

It was a bit long to capture both the drying kilning and packaging phases so I've cut it in two.

Hope you enjoy.

Edit links below video for Andrew Laverys Advanced Malting tutorial at www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com

and some scientific papers on malting rice and using rice in the brewing industry

Let me know if there is anything I left out that you want to know.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Love the video Ben!
Man you have come a long way! Which dehydrator will be using in the next video? Will it be the minivan or the purpose built dehydrator? ;)

Love the video Ben!
Man you have come a long way! Which dehydrator will be using in the next video? Will it be the minivan or the purpose built dehydrator? ;)
Work Van.

Boss bought me a hyundi Staria so extra large front windshield on that model too ;) ;)

Here's a video on my Dehydrator my usual mode of Action when it comes to Drying out the grains and err Vegetables.

Cheers hope it helps

Back