Brewer's Friend: Converting to metric and scaling up

Stellar

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Brand new here, and new to brewing. Just finished the beer from my 3rd ever batch (I mean polished off the last bottle, not finished brewing lol) and I'd like to try something new. Started with two Pilsners then a hoppy Pilsner. The 2nd and 3rd batches were as good as I could have imagined, so I'm stoked.

In the recipes list here on the site, right at the top is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. I used to love that beer, so I figured I'd try to do one myself.

A few questions though-
  • Is it possible to change to metric? I love freedom units as much as the next guy, but it'd be a lot easier for me. I saw a setting in my profile, but it didn't seem to change anything
  • Can I scale up? My Braumeister is a 50L, and the recipe is 29.5L. I could do a basic Excel spreadsheet to help me, but I figured the site might also do it, and that I missed something. Edit: just found this, sorry https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/how-to-scale-your-recipe-resize.13550/
  • There are a lot of questions on the equipment profile that I don't know the answer to. I suppose I can just leave them blank; any suggetions?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi all!

Brand new here, and new to brewing. Just finished the beer from my 3rd ever batch (I mean polished off the last bottle, not finished brewing lol) and I'd like to try something new. Started with two Pilsners then a hoppy Pilsner. The 2nd and 3rd batches were as good as I could have imagined, so I'm stoked.

In the recipes list here on the site, right at the top is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. I used to love that beer, so I figured I'd try to do one myself.

A few questions though-
  • Is it possible to change to metric? I love freedom units as much as the next guy, but it'd be a lot easier for me. I saw a setting in my profile, but it didn't seem to change anything
  • Can I scale up? My Braumeister is a 50L, and the recipe is 29.5L. I could do a basic Excel spreadsheet to help me, but I figured the site might also do it, and that I missed something. Edit: just found this, sorry https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/how-to-scale-your-recipe-resize.13550/
  • There are a lot of questions on the equipment profile that I don't know the answer to. I suppose I can just leave them blank; any suggetions?
Thanks in advance!
Welcome! Nice to know you.

The short version:
Yes
Yes
I don't know, but somebody will.

Longer version:
Yes. I've never done it but several others have.

Yes, I do that all the time. There is a Scale Recipe button somewhere. After it does its thing, I usually tweak things a bit, like rounding the amounts a little.

Can I scale up? My Braumeister is a 50L, and the recipe is 29.5L. I could do a basic Excel spreadsheet to help me, but I figured the site might also do it, and that I missed something. Edit: just found this, sorry

I scale all the time. While you are editing the recipe you will see Recipe Tools at the top. Click the drop down and select Scale. You can scale by batch size or efficiency.

Is it possible to change to metric?

This is actually easier than you would expect. While editing the recipe just change the the measurement type. It if is in lb, just use the drop down and select kg, it will automatically update the the amount.

Only things to watch are the water requirements when copying or scaling a recipe -
sometimes get messed up, and double check ingredient amounts before/after unit changes to make sure they make sense still. Check the two auto calc boxes in recipe builder for pre and post boil water, and save prior to checking your water requirements.

Hi all!

A few questions though-
Thanks in advance!
Make sure to set your profile and then when you start a new recipe it'll start with your parameters.
The recipe builder has lots of options as mentioned above and many more, such as linking a water profile etc
Play around with it a bit and most things will become obvious and then certainly ask any questions you're not finding answers to.
Welcome aboard!
Brian

Hi all!

A few questions though-
Thanks in advance!
If you brewed actual Pilsners with actual lager yeast successfully and then bottled, you may want to post your experiences for others. I was going to try bottling a lager but ended up buying some kegging toys instead. Others have asked question concerning that topic too. When did you crash/lager and what was your fermentation schedule?

When did you crash/lager and what was your fermentation schedule?

Just for a data point for everyone; I bottled my last two lagers after fermentation and diacetyl rest and cold crashed in the bottle. Both came out clean, crisp, and clear. The primary reason for cold crashing in the bottle was to free up my fermenters. I have an Oktoberfest that will get cold crashed in the fermenter tonight. Once it is done lagering I will bring it up to room temperature to bottle. I will keep it in the basement for a few weeks to let it carb in the bottle.

Just for a data point for everyone; I bottled my last two lagers after fermentation and diacetyl rest and cold crashed in the bottle. Both came out clean, crisp, and clear. The primary reason for cold crashing in the bottle was to free up my fermenters. I have an Oktoberfest that will get cold crashed in the fermenter tonight. Once it is done lagering I will bring it up to room temperature to bottle. I will keep it in the basement for a few weeks to let it carb in the bottle.
I assume you don't have any issues carbonating with yeast that has been taken out of suspension then. I thought long and hard about doing different variations on that, but I'm glad I bought the regulator now.

Back