Brewday!

Yooper

Ale’s What Cures Ya!
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2013
Messages
3,517
Reaction score
2,941
Points
113
Location
Upper Michigan/Florida
My redneck Brewzilla and MLT set up! Try not to laugh but it works.

IMG_0465.jpeg
 
this looks similar to what I do
use the AIO as an HLT for mash and sparge water
after the mash back to the AIO to boil or more often into my gas kettle
I rarely brew inside but when I do I have a much larger fan
 
on closer look you have the mash pipe in the kettle
 
on closer look you have the mash pipe in the kettle

No, I don't even use the malt pipe at all- it's put somewhere like on a shelf. I use a hops spider with a paint straining bag for quite a few of my IPAs. I also have the one that I got with the Brewzilla, but the holes are so tight that it impacts the utilization so much that I only used it one time.
I mash in the cooler, up on the little stand on the left, and then when I'm boiling, I clean the MLT and put it on the floor and point my mini fan at it.

Also, if you notice, the Brewzilla says the temperature is 217. It's not of course, but to get the boil I to set the temperature to 220F. The actually temperature of the wort at boil is 211. The temperature is always wrong, so once I learned that I just use my handy expensive thermometer. Sometimes it's off by 11 degrees when ramping as the heater seems to work ok, but the pump is so anemic that it takes a LONG time to actually ramp the temperature so I don't step mash in this. The RAPT thermometer that I bought also and used it a few times was also not really as accurate as I would like. The temperature between the Brewzilla and the Rapt was about the same difference as my handheld has found though, so at least it was consistently inaccurate.

I don't hate this thing but it's more of an HLT/boil kettle and I found that an AIO is really.....not. At least not at this price point. But it's much lighter to move around and clean and aside from hauling out my very very old MLT (my first one!) and my old old wort chiller (again, first one!), my brew days aren't physically demanding at all now.
 
Quoting Hardy: "I'm rednecker than you". :p
 
I believe that you can calibrate the thermometer. You can on the v3 units, there must be a way to calibrate that on your v4
 
I have an an extra programmable inkbird I was going to use to by pass the stupid thermometer on my digiboil but like you I prefer mashing in a separate tun. It's much more versatile
 

Back
Top