Brew Year Resolution's?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by H4v0C, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse Well-Known Member

#21 Iliff Avenue Brewhouse, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    My goal for 2019 is to continue to narrow in on what beers I like to brew/drink the most. It's hard because this means having a lot of the same beers on tap regularly which also translates to less new recipes and experimentation.

It's been hard finding time to brew lately so I am considering upgrading to equipment for 10 gallons which will mean even less new recipes and the need to brew solid beers since I will be brewing half as often. Not sure if I can come up with the money for what I need though...

Trialben and Beer_Pirate like this.
  2. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Looks like you've got most of the expense behind you and are now facing process head on. Good work.

I know what you mean about the notes. I take notes about any anomalies encountered or special steps taken, but almost never consult them. A good place to join you in starting the new year off.

Trialben, Beer_Pirate and jmcnamara like this.
  3. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

#23 BOB357, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    OK, while we're on the subject--------------My equipment additions and revisions were fairly small this year. I added a whirlpool/recirculation tube to my BK [​IMG] and a BIAB false bottom to go along with it. [​IMG]
    Also got a hop filter [​IMG] to replace my bulky home made spider. Now I don't need to remove and replace it when putting the IC [​IMG]in the BK. Got a new bag that fits both my BK and 10 gallon MLT. Almost forgot, a MKII pump.[​IMG] Upgraded to the SS head after knocking it off the shelf and breaking off the inlet of the original. All set up for BIAB w/ recirculation now.

I have been doing BIAB in the hotter months and conventional AG with batch sparge the rest of the time. Since getting a bag that fits the MLT I now use the bag instead of a bazooka screen in the MLT and am contemplating whether to do that all year round or stick with seasonal BIAB.

My biggest impact revision to process has been with the use of dry yeasts exclusively. After trying some new to me strains I've selected a few that cover the beers I normally brew. I rehydrate the yeast using some of the starter water volume and then add it to the starter wort. The results have been amazing. Overall, I'm getting shorter lag times and substantially faster fermentations than I ever did using starters from liquid yeasts.

Wow! Did I ever get sidetracked here and off subject.

OK, back on the rails. Plans for the New Year:
    1 - Decide whether to stay with seasonal BIAB or go to MIAB with batch sparge full time.
    2 - Dial in some of my best recipes, using the notes I never look at.
    3 - Overbuild my starters and save yeast for future brews as I did when using liquid yeasts.

Trialben likes this.
  4. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    Mostly refining my process and maybe looking to see if I can run 220v to my garage, if I can I will likely redo my system to electric.

Beer_Pirate likes this.
  5. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, I don’t plan on adding or changing anything equipment-wise, as im pretty happy with our All Grain equipment and approach. In fact, we and our family and friends have loved our homebrew. Technique-wise, I want to sharpen up on consistent mash/efficiency. We can usually hit in the high 70’s/low 80’s, but every once in a while I’ll get a hiccup in the efficiency like this past weekend where we got a 1.053 with a target of 1.060. Like always, I can always trace it back to what I did wrong. So I just want to hone in on that for 2019.

Cheers!

6. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

'Yu mean dat Ball-demore water ain't no good fer brewing beer Hon? It's good enuf for Nattie Boh!' It's alright......I used to live in Hamden between Falls and the JFX!

7. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I'll probably work on a recirculation system, add a reverse osmosis filtration system and see what I can do in the National Homebrew Competition.

8. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I ended up 28th in Canada for points in my first year, I'll call that a win considering how unimpressed I am by the process. I'll probably compete again next year and see if I enjoy it anymore. Try everything twice as they say. Most of my issues right now are around having made my own life easier and harder in unexpected ways.

Beer_Pirate and Trialben like this.
  9. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Shoit yeah man awesome stuff that's up there!

Hawkbox likes this.
  10. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Haha, wasn't too bad before, brewed for about a year here before even looking at a water report. I don't think I'm doing anything drastic, just a little nudge here or there. And we're in Rosedale, not too far from your old stomping grounds

11. SwampWater

SwampWater Member

Brew the beer I like which is German Lagers. I have a Brown Ale and a Stout for Christmas, but after that all lagers. Still like AIPA's though, but will buy from my local brewery who brew a fantastic one.