Brew Year 2019.

I find your lack of Belgians disturbing...
Oh hang on I brewed Belgian witbier for Christmas so not totally true:rolleyes:

I wanna visit the Belgian style beers for sure and some English style as I've been deprived of these styles for most my short brewing career.
Maybe I need pointing in the right direction...:)!

Great thread Trial!

2019 was a low production year compared to previous years, with an average of a brew a month (12 brews total). Although production was low this year, we’ve settled in on a few brews/styles that we really enjoy, with the first 3 years being more of a “hey! Let’s brew this recipe...”, and this year being focused on the beers/styles we like and being able to confidently reproduce them over and over, and hopefully improving where needed. For now, that rules out lagers as were not set up to lager appropriately (space, equipment, attention), and to be honest, we haven’t had a lager, save for a couple here and there at parties and events, so we’re staying focused on ales. With only ales in production in 2019 and likely throughout 2020, I anticipate more of the following:

IPAs
Porters/Stouts
Fruit ales
Must be a bit of blank space on the keezer lid then Mase:). Consistentcy makes a great brewer I recon. Being able to replicate a beer with accuracy is probably more important than discovering a new beer style. Cheers looking forward to your tweeks to these styles in the new year!

Oh hang on I brewed Belgian witbier for Christmas so not totally true:rolleyes:

I wanna visit the Belgian style beers for sure and some English style as I've been deprived of these styles for most my short brewing career.
Maybe I need pointing in the right direction...:)!
You can never go wrong with a Belgian Pale Ale. An interesting comparison to an IPA or APA.

Of course, there is my favorite style of Belgian Dark Strong Ale...

Heck, try them all!

You can never go wrong with a Belgian Pale Ale. An interesting comparison to an IPA or APA.

Of course, there is my favorite style of Belgian Dark Strong Ale...

Heck, try them all!
I'm picking up what your putting down bubba cheers. I've gotta get out from under my conservative beers rock...

But remember that probiotic test beer I did I've got to revisit that boulardi yeast again next year missus still has a few pills of that left too:D!

Great thread Ben!
2019 was brew year #2 for me, and was a great year! I now have a few go to recipes, and am becoming more consistent.
Hoping to brew once per month in 2020, and maybe occasionally get an extra brew in once in a while.
It was a rocky ride with Brewers Friend this year, but things seem to be running smoothly again.
My goal this year is to get my new to me 3V system more dialed in. I also need to better understand all of the inputs in the brew session, and make better use of this part of the site. My paper records tell me that I have brewed 130 gallons YTD, I did a couple of brews using Brewfather not reflected below.
Screenshot_20191217-100433_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191217-100451_Chrome.jpg

Great thread Ben!
2019 was brew year #2 for me, and was a great year! I now have a few go to recipes, and am becoming more consistent.
Hoping to brew once per month in 2020, and maybe occasionally get an extra brew in once in a while.
It was a rocky ride with Brewers Friend this year, but things seem to be running smoothly again.
My goal this year is to get my new to me 3V system more dialed in. I also need to better understand all of the inputs in the brew session, and make better use of this part of the site. My paper records tell me that I have brewed 130 gallons YTD, I did a couple of brews using Brewfather not reflected below.
View attachment 8226
View attachment 8227
Looks like you sure love your IPAs Craig.:)

Off a little this year, usually brew 20 batches but most are 10 gal. Need to use more homegrown centennial next year, have been picking more than we are using. Like the way they come out by spreading them all through the boil. Haven't replaced the lager frig so need that taken care of in 2020, and changing to electric is still on the list. The beer for 2019 we liked best was the SN NARWHAL CLONE. I am sorry to say it didn't make it to Christmas! Will pull some from the cellar to go with the Amber on tap by it's lonesome.
MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW BREWER'S!
Brewing Report for Brewer: Head First
667_bzr7pm2z7v_sm.jpg

Start Date: 2018-12-17, End Date: 2019-12-17
Report Generated: December 18th, 2019 - 5:14 am
Brewing Summary By Recipe:
Recipe Brew Date Batch Code Batch Size
Imperial IPA 2018-12-21 #183 5 (gal)
JANETS BROWN 2018 2018-12-21 #185 10 (gal)
HEADFIRST ESB 2018-12-22 #186 10 (gal)
EVERY 20 HOMEGROWN Pale Ale 2019-01-11 #187 10.5 (gal)
Amber Lager/Ale double up 2019-01-19 #188 10 (gal)
Tangerine Wheat 2019-01-27 #189 10 (gal)
Coffee Stout 2019-02-22 #190 5 (gal)
Yakima Gold Test 2019-03-02 #191 10.5 (gal)
HOMEGROWN 20 CENT IPA 2019-04-06 #193 21 (gal)
Amber Saison 2019-05-26 #195 10.5 (gal)
Head First Mud In The EYEPA 2019-07-28 #197 10.5 (gal)
Tangerine Wheat 2019-08-03 #198 10 (gal)
Rasberry Porter 2019-08-04 #199 10.5 (gal)
HEAD FIRST Amber 2019-08-25 #200 10 (gal)
SN Narwhal Clone 2019-09-29 #201 5.5 (gal)
EVERY 20 HOMEGROWN Pale Ale 2019-10-13 #202 10.5 (gal)
Belgian Dubbel 2019-11-22 #203 10.5 (gal)
HEAD FIRST Amber 2019-12-15 #204 10 (gal)
Total Gallons: 180
Total Brews:
Edit: the missing #s are batches of 10gal. That were split and treated diff post mash.

I made it 28 this year, learned a lot, got obsessed with Kveik.
  1. Hoppy Hefeweizen
  2. Open Fermented Blonde Ale, Belgian Ale & Brett Co-pitch
  3. Voss Kveik NEIPA
  4. HotHead German Pils 1
  5. VIENEIPA
  6. Belgian Golden Strong
  7. Grapefruit Sour, mixed ferm
  8. Farmhouse Rye IPA
  9. Heavy Oated NEIPA
  10. House NEIPA 1
  11. Blueberry Sour, mixed ferm
  12. Butterfly Pea Flower “Belgian” Pilsner
  13. House NEIPA with 200:50 Cl:SO4 water
  14. House NEIPA with Treehouse water
  15. “Double Barrel” Chocolate Milkshake (NOLA On Tap)
  16. Belgian Hoppy Blonde (NOLA On Tap)
  17. Belgian Smoked Stout (NOLA On Tap)
  18. Hothead German Pils 2 (NOLA On Tap)
  19. Session Kveik IPA (NOLA On Tap)
  20. Key Lime Sour (NOLA On Tap)
  21. House NEIPA DDH Treehouse Water
  22. HotHead Doppelbock
  23. HotHead Festbier
  24. Belgian Quad
  25. Satsuma Sour, mixed ferm
  26. Experimental Bootleg Biology Pilsner
  27. Double Barrel Chocolate Milkshake 2
  28. Coffee Saison (French yeast, local coffee)

Wow! That's a great variety.

Only 2 brews....
But they were also my first ones. Hopefully a lot more next year.
Both were blondes, one Belgian, one I haven't got a clue. Both actually turned out pretty decent, esp considering my knowledge and materials.
Then when I was just getting the hang of things, I was told to move from my location. So now all my beer making kit has been packed up.
I made quite a lot of batches of cider though.
Here's to a good 2020 and more brews and more participation in this forum from my side :)

Then when I was just getting the hang of things, I was told to move from my location. So now all my beer making kit has been packed up.
I made quite a lot of batches of cider though.

My wife evicted me to the garage years ago. And cider is good too.

My report is a little misleading(I was just editing recipes and changing names until I subscribed, so reusing the 5 free spots skewed the report a bit). This should be a list of what I actually brewed. First 3 were extract, then all grain from there. Not too bad considering I didn't start brewing fro the first time until July...

1 Czech Pale Lager
1 Czech Premium Pale (which became the amber after a couple changes)
2 Czech Amber
1 Czech Dark Lager
2 Cream Ale
1 APA
1 IPA

May try to get in a batch of Czech Amber today, depends on the timetable.

Hothead German Pils 2 (NOLA On Tap
I assume you used Kveik yeast for this. How did it turn out? Is it as clean as they say? What temperature did you ferment at?

I assume you used Kveik yeast for this. How did it turn out? Is it as clean as they say? What temperature did you ferment at?
HotHead, ferment at 93ºF, keg on day 4 or 5, it comes out fairly fruity, but still really clean, nice and crispy on the backend. my festbier is also HotHead at 93, almost same recipe.

Pilsner is 80/10/10 Pils/Vienna/CaraFoam, Festbier i flip the Pils and Vienna so its 80/10/10 Vienna/Pils/CaraFoam

Back