Brew Year 2019.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just checking out my brewing report for this years run in the brewery
Screenshot_20191216-163500_Samsung Internet.jpg

I clocked in 23 brews this year 21 if I'm not counting my two dumpers i had due to scortching on element.
That's just short on two a month so I'm happy with that.
This year has been a new year for me in brewing on electric. I moved away from brewing on gas I think it was early January so I'm glad them two dumpers were due to let's say production error and not through infection.:rolleyes:.
Also started a big project (yet to be completed maybe early/late 2020:rolleyes:) building my keezer.

Loki was my Favorite yeast this year I purchased my strain of Voss Kviek in January and last brew I put down was my 6th generation with that same strain. I've honestly only just begun to understand this crazy Norwegian strain a little bit more recently having over pitched it for at Least 4 or the 6 generations. At 80% attenuation last batch i dont see any reason to quit with that same strain just yet.
I cant wait to try my hands at some other Norwegian/Scandinavian strains.
Screenshot_20191216-163508_Samsung Internet.jpg
up there is the styles I've delved into this year I can see I'm a quite conservative brewer no Belgian or sour style beers in there...:rolleyes: yes it reflects my love for a well crafted Lager leaning more towards german in style who can blame me :).

Hops wise Sazz Magnum and Ella are close to the top of my list compared to my Lupulin Loving American and Canadian friends the other side of the Pacific I'm quite reserved in the hop department. But gee if you were to ask me what beer I'd like you to brew for me I'd say a lager with plenty of Sazz pls:D!oh and i dont care Be it dark or lite in SRM/Lovibond!

Is it to early for this type of threado_O?
Anyhow it's been great sharing brewing knowledge with you all and sharing in your success and failures across this 2019 brew year! As well as I might add the ups and down controversial roller coaster of brewersfriend software updates LOL:D:D:D:D:p!

It's been a very Mery year it couldnt of fermented any better as (Group W) would point at welcome to the fermentor ha ha!

So what's your brew reports lady's and gents?
I understand the nondisclosure of certain brewing information on the Whole....;)

But what was the styles you brewed most?
What hops have you found you kept going back too?
Favourite yeast maybe?
Medals obtained?
Failures even (it's how we learn)?
Most memorable brew day?

Would love to hear
CHEERS!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL.

Good thread trialben!
This year has been pretty much the opposite for me. I think I've brewed 3 batches this year, and one is still stitting waiting to be bottled (to be fair that one has wild yeast so I'm in no hurry there). And my kegs have been empty for months
It's been tough to find the time to brew, and the software hiccups didn't help either
I am planning on getting one last brew day in sometime in the next week or so, but no clue what I'm going to make. Any ideas?

Good thread trialben!
This year has been pretty much the opposite for me. I think I've brewed 3 batches this year, and one is still stitting waiting to be bottled (to be fair that one has wild yeast so I'm in no hurry there). And my kegs have been empty for months
It's been tough to find the time to brew, and the software hiccups didn't help either
I am planning on getting one last brew day in sometime in the next week or so, but no clue what I'm going to make. Any ideas?
Yeah of course Nauticle Stout :D!
Ah but on a serious note hope the new year brings you many happy brews

Recipe Brew Date Batch Code Batch Size
Wheat Berry Crunch 2018-12-31 5.5 (gal)
Resilience IPA 2019-02-24 5.5 (gal)
English Bitter 2019-06-01 5.5 (gal)
Ozarks Vienna Blonde 5.5 2019-08-31 5.5 (gal)
Nautical Star 2019-09-15 6 (gal)
Nacho Cream Ale 2019-09-28 5.5 (gal)
Munich Dunkel 2019-11-10 5.75 (gal)
Cluster Buster 2019-12-15 5.5 (gal)
Total Gallons: 44.75
Total Brews:

I've been a slacker this year compared to @Trialben. I'm hoping out household settles down a bit for 2020 and I get to spend more time brewing! I have made a bunch of equipment changes this year too that should help free me up a bit. Cheers!

Did some mods to my record keeping earlier this year, so can't track in brewing software. Looking at my calendar, I've brewed 16 batches since June 18, so 80 gallons in less than 6 months. Pretty sure the pace was similar earlier in the year, so guestimating about 160 gallons total for beer and probably 20 gallons of cider. I'd be a criminal if I lived alone :)
Went from burning propane to the 2 vessel EBIAB system and then to the all in one this year, so been a busy brewer.

I brewed about the same as always, 25 batches. Most of them lagers. Tried a new method of pressurized fermentation, haven't tried the beer yet. I hope it reduces the esters of 2124/830 yeast. When it's clean it makes the best pilsners. I rediscovered SO4 yeast, it's a damn good yeast.

I won 10-15 medals this year, not really sure the number. But the best one was the Minnesota State Fair. I won 2nd overall in medal counts with 3 golds and a bronze and was runner up for the "Minn-Kasi" award. The first place got 2 golds and 2 silvers plus a bronze and won a 15 gallon Spike Kettle. He graciously turned it down and gave it to the runner-up. So I ended up with a super nice kettle. Awesome and thank you!

After a 20 year hiatus, I got back into brewing this year. My first two batches were before I found Brewer's Friend, so technically I brewed 11 times since Memorial Weekend.

Get on Top Cream Ale 2019-06-29 Cream Ale #1 2.5 (gal)
Young American All Night IPA 2019-07-20 Young American All Night IPA #1 2.5 (gal)
Brotherhood Porter 2019-08-18 2.5 (gal)
Gooseberry Wheat 2019-09-02 2.5 (gal)
Deer Creek Saison 2019-09-28 2.5 (gal)
Chocolate Oatmeal Stout 2019-10-27 2.5 (gal)
Blonde Ale 2019-11-10 2.5 (gal)
Brotherhood Porter v2 2019-12-01 2.5 (gal)
IPA v2 2019-12-15 2.75 (gal)
Total Gallons: 22.75
Total Brews:

Some were great (Saison, Porter, IPA) and some need tweaking (Gooseberry Wheat, Blonde), but I enjoyed the process of making every one. Kind of like my kids. ;)

Moved from bottles to kegs for the Saison. I love how much easier it is on packaging and cleaning day, but the real reason I got rid of the bottles was inconsistent carbonation. That's my fault of course, but instead of working out the kinks with the priming sugar/time/temp etc. I decided to just simplify.

And that's my continued goal. Keep It Simple. Keep It Fun.

Cheers to a great community!

upload_2019-12-16_12-29-30.png

Can't fit all the brews. Forty Eight before I gave up on Brewers Friend Software. Will end up with 52 brews. So far this year all beers have been drinkable, some were very good and a few were exceptional. Like some of you other old farts I have moved from muscles to pumps.

Nice stories here. Thanks for the thread Ben. I have an Imperial Stout to brew this week so that will make an average year for me at 18 batches (90 gal) total. I started the year with a few IPAs then experimented with a couple milkshake NEIPAs. That was fun working with milk lactose and need to think of adding a bit to a stout. Then I got back into full-on IPA brewing. Probably only did 5 batches that were not IPAs. Got to keep the missus happy.

I worked on better understand water chemistry this year. Just scratching the surface, but finding it’s really important with our slightly alkaline well water and popping hops in those IPAs.

Thanks again Ben! Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Wheat Berry Crunch 2018-12-31 5.5 (gal)
Resilience IPA 2019-02-24 5.5 (gal)
English Bitter 2019-06-01 5.5 (gal)
Ozarks Vienna Blonde 5.5 2019-08-31 5.5 (gal)
Nautical Star 2019-09-15 6 (gal)
Nacho Cream Ale 2019-09-28 5.5 (gal)
Munich Dunkel 2019-11-10 5.75 (gal)
Cluster Buster 2019-12-15 5.5 (gal)
Total Gallons: 44.75
Total Brews:

I've been a slacker this year compared to @Trialben. I'm hoping out household settles down a bit for 2020 and I get to spend more time brewing! I have made a bunch of equipment changes this year too that should help free me up a bit. Cheers!
Well when you've got a nice shiny grainfather to play with I'm betting that brew count will take a Flogging next year;).

Did some mods to my record keeping earlier this year, so can't track in brewing software. Looking at my calendar, I've brewed 16 batches since June 18, so 80 gallons in less than 6 months. Pretty sure the pace was similar earlier in the year, so guestimating about 160 gallons total for beer and probably 20 gallons of cider. I'd be a criminal if I lived alone :)
Went from burning propane to the 2 vessel EBIAB system and then to the all in one this year, so been a busy brewer.
Bloody great effort Bob. I'm happy o went the electric route more precise and most brews once mash or boil is reached incannwalk away and go and do other things knowing itll be have itself without me staring at it every 5 minutes.

I brewed about the same as always, 25 batches. Most of them lagers. Tried a new method of pressurized fermentation, haven't tried the beer yet. I hope it reduces the esters of 2124/830 yeast. When it's clean it makes the best pilsners. I rediscovered SO4 yeast, it's a damn good yeast.

I won 10-15 medals this year, not really sure the number. But the best one was the Minnesota State Fair. I won 2nd overall in medal counts with 3 golds and a bronze and was runner up for the "Minn-Kasi" award. The first place got 2 golds and 2 silvers plus a bronze and won a 15 gallon Spike Kettle. He graciously turned it down and gave it to the runner-up. So I ended up with a super nice kettle. Awesome and thank you!
Wow sounds like your a quiet achiever there mate What an achievement!

After a 20 year hiatus, I got back into brewing this year. My first two batches were before I found Brewer's Friend, so technically I brewed 11 times since Memorial Weekend.

Get on Top Cream Ale 2019-06-29 Cream Ale #1 2.5 (gal)
Young American All Night IPA 2019-07-20 Young American All Night IPA #1 2.5 (gal)
Brotherhood Porter 2019-08-18 2.5 (gal)
Gooseberry Wheat 2019-09-02 2.5 (gal)
Deer Creek Saison 2019-09-28 2.5 (gal)
Chocolate Oatmeal Stout 2019-10-27 2.5 (gal)
Blonde Ale 2019-11-10 2.5 (gal)
Brotherhood Porter v2 2019-12-01 2.5 (gal)
IPA v2 2019-12-15 2.75 (gal)
Total Gallons: 22.75
Total Brews:

Some were great (Saison, Porter, IPA) and some need tweaking (Gooseberry Wheat, Blonde), but I enjoyed the process of making every one. Kind of like my kids. ;)

Moved from bottles to kegs for the Saison. I love how much easier it is on packaging and cleaning day, but the real reason I got rid of the bottles was inconsistent carbonation. That's my fault of course, but instead of working out the kinks with the priming sugar/time/temp etc. I decided to just simplify.

And that's my continued goal. Keep It Simple. Keep It Fun.

Cheers to a great community!
Never herd making beer referenced like that magary ha ha:D! Man if making babys and making beer were non par I'd be trying to brew every spare moment I get lol:D.

Great thread Trial!

2019 was a low production year compared to previous years, with an average of a brew a month (12 brews total). Although production was low this year, we’ve settled in on a few brews/styles that we really enjoy, with the first 3 years being more of a “hey! Let’s brew this recipe...”, and this year being focused on the beers/styles we like and being able to confidently reproduce them over and over, and hopefully improving where needed. For now, that rules out lagers as were not set up to lager appropriately (space, equipment, attention), and to be honest, we haven’t had a lager, save for a couple here and there at parties and events, so we’re staying focused on ales. With only ales in production in 2019 and likely throughout 2020, I anticipate more of the following:

IPAs
Porters/Stouts
Fruit ales

we’ve settled in on a few brews/styles that we really enjoy,
That's the best way to learn how to brew a style, stick with it, make the beer you like and make it the way you like it. It's way better than constantly jumping from style to style. I tried that but now I stick with what I like and It's more enjoyable.

I have 16 brews for the year with one more scheduled. An average of one every three weeks. I have stayed with the 2.5 gallon batches.

Half of the batches were Belgians, with the other half an assortment of IPA’s, APA’s, and British beers.

The single vessel electric setup makes brewing pretty easy.

I have brewed 10 so far in my first year of brewing. There should be an 11th brew next week. My first was a kit, all the rest have been all-grain recipes, generally of my own creation. So far, all have been APA or IPA. I find this to be such an enjoyable hobby.

I have brewed 10 so far in my first year of brewing. There should be an 11th brew next week. My first was a kit, all the rest have been all-grain recipes, generally of my own creation. So far, all have been APA or IPA. I find this to be such an enjoyable hobby.
And what a great hobby it is! A little science, a little art and a whole lot of enjoying the finished product.

Back