Brass or stainless?

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to put a spigot onto a 40L pot to use for a Hot liquor tank. I was just wondering if there is a preferance of using brass or stainless parts. I would prefure stainless but cant find some of the parts for stainless at my local Home Depot store. They only carry brass shut off valves etc.
and ..ya...I know i can get all stainless spigots online etc. but I am hoping on not spending $40 to $60.

I prefer stainless steel. The stuff at Home Depot is not really meant for brewery grade applications, so the extra $ will be worth it in the long run in my opinion.

There are some notes in Palmer's book about brass, specifically cleaning off any lead:
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

If the valve is for the HLT only and will only be in contact with water you are safe to use any valves approved for home plumbing use.

With the lower pH of wort there might be a concern that it can attack brass.

This being said, I do have a brass valve on my MLT but that doesn't mean it is perfectly safe. I'm just not worried given the short exposure time.

Kai

Hey,
Go with stainless it's worth the money. What I did was put it on my amazon wish list and waited. I only had to buy a threaded 1 inch stainless steel pipe and barbed nipple for hose.

Cheers

Back