Bottling from Primary

It doesn't. Secondary is overrated, even unnecessary, for starters.

I'd use a sacrificial pint glass at first to make sure the trub is settled and you won't have any ugly bottles.
Definitely. My final gravity sample will be, as you say, sacrificial. Though I can't wait to give it a taste.

It doesn't. Secondary is overrated, even unnecessary, for starters.

I'd use a sacrificial pint glass at first to make sure the trub is settled and you won't have any ugly bottles.

Or open the valve quick and get your hydrometer sample. I don't think a bit of trub changes things, and after it settles I get a few drops for the BRIX.

In the end I bottled with a short piece of hose attached to the FV spigot. Super simple.
The only drawback was that I most likely left a bottle of beer in the FV because at that point it required an as yet un-Darwinized third hand, one to tip the fermenter, one to hold the bottle and one to shut the spigot off. Small sacrifice.

In the end I bottled with a short piece of hose attached to the FV spigot. Super simple.
The only drawback was that I most likely left a bottle of beer in the FV because at that point it required an as yet un-Darwinized third hand, one to tip the fermenter, one to hold the bottle and one to shut the spigot off. Small sacrifice.
Nice work Megary :) my spigot valve is definitely a 2-handed piece of equipment. Perhaps because the spigot is on a plastic fermonster, but if I don't also hold the piece, I'm worried I'll crack it right open

Nice work Megary :) my spigot valve is definitely a 2-handed piece of equipment. Perhaps because the spigot is on a plastic fermonster, but if I don't also hold the piece, I'm worried I'll crack it right open
I cracked the spigot on my FerMonster, after only 6 months of use. As stated earlier, I’ll be sticking with my bottling wand and bucket approach.

Interesting. I can't see how I would crack the spigot on the Speidel by just turning it left and right. It really was such a ridiculously easy process that instead of kegging everything, I might routinely consider bottling a few beers as giveaways on packaging day. Consider being the key word there. :)

Interesting. I can't see how I would crack the spigot on the Speidel by just turning it left and right. It really was such a ridiculously easy process that instead of kegging everything, I might routinely consider bottling a few beers as giveaways on packaging day. Consider being the key word there. :)
I agree that turning the spigot on a Speidel is far easier than on a FerMonster. I have one of each, but still will use my bottling wand with a bucket. Old dog, new trick - you get the idea.

Back