Bottles

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
After drinking one, I rinse bottles vigorously to remove all sediment. Before re-using/re-bottling I run hot water into each via a bottle wash attachment and sanitize each with starsan.

Question is, am I risking anything by skipping a soak in a cleaning solution ... i.e. pbw, bbrite, bleach, etc ?

When I was bottling, I started doing a PBW soak with every bottle after I got a couple of infected batches. It may not show up soon or in every bottle, but eventually you miss a little residue and have some bombs.

“One Step” Cleaner for 24 hours minimum, then a rinse with Star-San for sanitizing.

If I assume you're rinsing them immediately after use, you don't need to do anything, just rinse with star-san prior to bottling. If they're dirty, I soak them in a very dilute bleach solution (about a cup to five gallons of water) a minimum of overnight, rinse with hot water then set aside until I'm ready to use them. Then a quick star-san rinse and in goes the beer! Nothing infected yet using this procedure.

I did just what you do for years and never had a problem. However, I started to notice that when my clean bottles dried they had a faint film on the glass that matched the fill level in the bottle. I now will give the bottles a 1 hour soak in an Oxy-Clean solution and the film is gone. Was the film going to cause a problem? I have no idea, it was probably there for years and never caused a problem, but once I noticed it I had to do something about it. It is not too much extra work and gives me peace of mind.

Back