Bottled up and counting the days

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Bierman707, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Bierman707

Bierman707 Member

I've bottles my first batch of beer! I tasted a small amount left over and it tasted a little hoppy for me but as long as I can pop open a pint that isn't contaminated, I'll consider it a success.
    Here's my question: if I'm going to end up with bottle bombs, how long would that take to happen?
    I have them inside of milk crates and the crates are inside of a sturdy tub with a lid, so if they do blow, it shouldn't be a Greek tragedy.

Hawkbox likes this.
  2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

If you calculated your sugar, you shouldn't have anything to worry about but if they're going to go off as a result of overcarbonation, you shouldn't have anything to worry about after around two weeks.

Bierman707 likes this.
  3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

How much priming sugar did you use and did you check the gravity before you added priming sugar? If you're keeping the bottles at a 75 to 80 degrees, they'll carb up quick.

4. Bierman707

Bierman707 Member

I calculated it out on a website. Northern brewer I think... I used a half cup of table sugar (boiled in a couple cups of water and allowed to cool while covered) I had 3.75 gallons of beer to bottle up (and I bottled almost every last bit). Only a few sips remained in the auto siphon. So, of course I had to taste it. It was room temp and flat as hell, so it's hard to say what it'll be like when it's done, but I think I've got a winner.
    Someone mentioned to me in a previous thread (I'm pretty sure it was you) that bottling is where most contamination issues come from, so I was super conscious about everything being clean. I even had a tall glass of starsan for my bottle filler to rest in while I put the caps on the full bottles.

J A likes this.
  5. philjohnwilliams

philjohnwilliams Well-Known Member

With that amount of sugar in 3.75 gallons you should be ok. There is a good priming calculator on this site under Tools>Calculators>Priming Calculator. It measures priming sugar by weight which is handy because it avoids errors due to improper dry measuring.

J A likes this.
  6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

A rule of thumb is one ounce dry weight per gallon of beer. Some beers need more carb and some less. I think that converting into ounces you're right around that mark. All will be well. ;)

Bierman707 likes this.
  7. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    As was said, if they don't blow in 2 weeks you're probably fine. I used PET bottles when I started just to remove the risk of painting my walls with glass.

Bierman707 likes this.