Book recommendations (small batch)

blitzkrieg.hop

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Are there any instruction/recipe books that people would recommend, specifically for small batch brewing (1 gallon/5(ish) litre. Thanks.

My kid got me the Brooklyn Brew Shop's beer making book.

There are 52 small batch recipes that run from simple cream ales to fancy herb and fruit brews. There's a few cool ideas and interesting stories like the brew that uses raisins for the priming sugar. The other good feature is that most all of the recipes have a 5 gallon parts list to them as well. If you buy this one make sure to read the first chapter where the writers define their directions like yeast types and methods.

Honestly, my first intro book was the Brewer's Best Brewing Guide that came with my first equipment kit. It's only 40 or so pages and is just enough to give you an intro into the hobby.

Friends, what books can you recommend for beginners?
It isn't a book, but there is a great guide for beginners right here on Brewers Friend!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-for-beginners/

Then there is the "brewing bible" (so to speak) by John Palmer. The first issue is available to view free online, and the most up to date version can be bought from scAmazon.
http://www.howtobrew.com/
upload_2022-2-19_5-40-1.png

It isn't a book, but there is a great guide for beginners right here on Brewers Friend!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewing-for-beginners/

Then there is the "brewing bible" (so to speak) by John Palmer. The first issue is available to view free online, and the most up to date version can be bought from scAmazon.
http://www.howtobrew.com/
View attachment 19452
Great book for both figuring out how things work, and figuring out what you did wrong when things don't go according to plan. Should have picked it up BEFORE I made my first batch...

Charlie Papazian the joy of home brewing....plenty of recipes, extensive details and you will learn what RDWHAHB means.

How beginner of a beginner are you @Vincent Sanchez ? And welcome to the Forum...if you are just getting started and haven't set a foot into this rabbit warren of hobby, make sure you check out the other areas of the site that go into the how to as well as the helpful and knowledgeable cast of characters on the forum here.

I have a book called "Make Some Beer." I can't vouch for all of the recipes in it but the ones I've made have been good.

+1 for How to Brew. Palmer is not always right but damn he knows an awful lot if good info.

+1 for How to Brew. Palmer is not always right but damn he knows an awful lot if good info.

theirs always one thing to think about, nobody is wrong and everyone is right in home brewing, it's a narcissistic kind of hobby

I didn't know about the Brooklyn book. Might be a good stocking-stuffer for new homebrewers.

I didn't know about the Brooklyn book. Might be a good stocking-stuffer for new homebrewers.
still

Oh yeah even as someone with a respectable number of batches under the belt, there's a number of adventurous recipes in the book. What I thought was cool was there are 5 gallon AND 1 gallon recipes where they break out water amounts which is helpful for scaling down to smaller hardware on the stove top

I will toss out another +1 for How to Brew by Palmer and a +1 for the Brewers Friend Brewing for Beginners.

Radical Brewing has some great recipes across a variety of styles and some interesting ingredients that i wouldnt have considered before reading. Plus a little history / description for everything. Highly recommended

You can scale down any recipe to 1 gallon. At our scale, simple linear scaling works. Some differences may be you can cool the batch much quicker, might affect hop utilization. Also, measurement error becomes more important because of the small quantities involved. Palmer's book is just a good general treatise on homebrewing at any scale.

Years ago, I had a good book on brewing. I have long since lost it. I was wondering if anyone knows the title.
It was full of recipes, advice and anecdotes. The author began brewing in his dorm room and made an awful mess.
The story I remember most is his trip to England to check out brewpubs. At one hotel-pub he has a conversation with the owner who tells him about his simple method for large scale brews...dumping extract in a large vessel, throwing in some hops and yeast, and waiting a few weeks to keg it.
Does anyone remember that book?

Back