Boiling Size

jeffers696

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im just getting ready for my 4th brew but my first using a recipe of the web and i have a question regarding reading the recipe and translating it to the brew day. I have gone fore the Kona Big Wave clone (on this website) with metric measurements.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... wave-clone

I haven't used steeping grains before so, i steep the grains in the water i am going to use for the boil right?

So i have a few questions, i have a 19L pot i want to use for the boil but the quoted boil size is 24L, can i just reduce the amount of water i use in the boil to like 15L and top it up later on in the fermenting bin to match the batch size of 19L?

Ok and here come the mega dumb questions....

In the Hop part of the recipe is the time column the time you put them in in the boil? So you start with a Wirlpool of 30g @ 0mins and add 5g @ 5mins and add 5g @ 30mins?

Final question the dry hopping, do i add that for 3 days or on day 3?

Sorry if these are answered but i have searched and cant find them Thanks for the help!

Cheers Paul :roll:

The steeping grains are the first thing in the water, yes. Heat your water up to around 150-165 F and let the grains steep for around 20 minutes. Pull the grains out (which are in a grain bag, right?), and start your boil. Don't let the water exceed 170 when steeping, or you could leach tannins into the wort. I started brewing years ago with a small pot where I did a partial boil and added water later, just as you are saying. It should work fine. Some will say you'll have a hop utilization issue, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eventually, you'll talk yourself into buying a bigger pot anyway.

The hop times listed represent time left in the boil when you add the hops. When your boil starts, start a 60 minute timer. When 30 minutes are left in the boil, add the 30 minute hops. When 5 minutes are left, add the 5 minute hops. Dry hopping is done in the secondary fermenter, after primary fermentation is complete. You would dry hop for 3 days.

Thanks for your reply, Glad i didnt go ahead with it! as i would have done it backwards! Thanks aging :D

Hey, i just spotted that the boil time is 60 mins, first hops say 30mins, so does that mean the steeping process lasts 30min of the boil time, then add the hops as you said @ 30 mins remaining?

No. Don't boil the steeping grains. Steep them around 150-165 like I said in my first post. Don't let the water get over 170. After 20 minutes, pull out the steeping grains and bring the wort to a boil. Then start your 60 minutes.

Ok, i understand what do do with the steeping grain,

Below is the timings

5 g Galaxy Pellet 13.8 Boil 30 min
5 g Citra Pellet 13.2 Boil 30 min
5 g Citra Pellet 13.2 Boil 5 min
5 g Galaxy Pellet 13.8 Boil 5 min
30 g Citra Pellet 13.2 Whirlpool at 80 °C 0 min
30 g GalaxyPellet 13.8 Whirlpool at 80 °C 0 min

So am i right in saying after steeping, add the rest of the dry malt extract i boil for 30mins with out any hops in and then at 30mins left i add the first 2 sets @30mins?

Correct. When your boil starts, start your boil timer. Add the dry malt extract then. Most recipes have a 60 minute boil, and a 60 minute hop. In those recipes, your first hop goes in at the start of the boil. In any case, when the boil timer reaches the time of a hop time, you put those hops in. Whirlpool hops go in at the end of the boil at flame out, when you do your whirlpool. In your recipe, wait until the wort reaches 80°C to add the whirlpool hops.

I edited my last post to clarify.

When it's ready, you owe me a beer!

Back