Blood Orange Milkshake Ipa

Are you sure its not just a bad tap line?
If it is the beer, here is a list of off flavors and causes. https://www.morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors

I didnt think of that at first so I did switch it last night. The new tap line seems better but I may have introduced a different variable prior that may be helping it along. I decided to dry hop the keg to try and add more hop flavor to maybe offset the harsh alcoholic taste. Its been dry hopping for about 3 days now. But it does seem to be improving. Now whether that is the hops or the new beer line im not sure.

Sounds like maybe too high of a ferment temp?
My ferm temps shouldnt have been too high. I use a thermowell and i have a mini fridge converted to a fermentation chamber so I dont know how that could happen. I kept it at about 66-67 for the first week and half to almost 2 weeks. I then raised to 70 for the last few days as FG was being reached.

It just seems odd that it was so good the first day i tried it (4 days from initial kegging) and then it turned so quickly but now seems to be working its way back. I'll have to try it tonight and see if the dry hopping is making it better or maybe it was that beer line. Which also seems odd since i just built this keezer 2 months ago and only have had 2 beers on that line and i flush it with a keg filled with oxyclean for a while then run another keg with star-san through it afterwards.

I didnt think of that at first so I did switch it last night. The new tap line seems better but I may have introduced a different variable prior that may be helping it along. I decided to dry hop the keg to try and add more hop flavor to maybe offset the harsh alcoholic taste. Its been dry hopping for about 3 days now. But it does seem to be improving. Now whether that is the hops or the new beer line im not sure.

My ferm temps shouldnt have been too high. I use a thermowell and i have a mini fridge converted to a fermentation chamber so I dont know how that could happen. I kept it at about 66-67 for the first week and half to almost 2 weeks. I then raised to 70 for the last few days as FG was being reached.

It just seems odd that it was so good the first day i tried it (4 days from initial kegging) and then it turned so quickly but now seems to be working its way back. I'll have to try it tonight and see if the dry hopping is making it better or maybe it was that beer line. Which also seems odd since i just built this keezer 2 months ago and only have had 2 beers on that line and i flush it with a keg filled with oxyclean for a while then run another keg with star-san through it afterwards.

(Maybe the problem is with the keg? How was the keg cleaned? Was there any oxygen left in the keg during transfer?)

Yeah not sure what happened.
there was some oxygen in the keg when i transfered but i purged everything before carbonating

It could have been the taps themselves although the keg did smell like that off flavor even after the first cleaning. I'm wondering if maybe it was the zest tincture i made. I made 2 other beers since then and i replaced all my lines and ran some line cleaner and flushed them and the beers seems to be holding well for about a month now. I'll have to try the recipe again and see what happens.

Last edited:
These beers are notorious for very fast oxidation. For this style, I'd guess the biggest culprit of your beer turning darker.
I personally would have opted for citrus flavors added by the hops. Grapefruit zest especially can be pretty intense and nasty. Especially if you get any pith with the zest.
Not sure if you're using new or used kegs. Did you replace all the orings? Especially the big one under the lid, and clean the poppets?
Adding more (vanilla) is probably just compounding the problem. We all get lucky from time to time, but usually if beers bad...beers bad.

These beers are notorious for very fast oxidation. For this style, I'd guess the biggest culprit of your beer turning darker.
I personally would have opted for citrus flavors added by the hops. Grapefruit zest especially can be pretty intense and nasty. Especially if you get any pith with the zest.
Not sure if you're using new or used kegs. Did you replace all the orings? Especially the big one under the lid, and clean the poppets?
Adding more (vanilla) is probably just compounding the problem. We all get lucky from time to time, but usually if beers bad...beers bad.

Yeah the kegs are newer. less than 6 months. It could have been oxidation but I'm not sure. or Id idnt clean the kegs as well as i thought or there was stuff in the dip tube i missed. It didnt have that oxidation flavor. It was more like permanent marker. Not sure if the higher alcohol content of the beer with perhaps not balancing it enough with a boil hop or what. But it just seemed odd that it was good day one but then turned after that. Either way a learning experience and makes me eager to try again. Sadly suddenly all the breweries around me released a creamsicle/orange milkshake ipa recently and now im kind of over that flavor for the time being hahaha.

Yeah the kegs are newer. less than 6 months. It could have been oxidation but I'm not sure. or Id idnt clean the kegs as well as i thought or there was stuff in the dip tube i missed. It didnt have that oxidation flavor. It was more like permanent marker. Not sure if the higher alcohol content of the beer with perhaps not balancing it enough with a boil hop or what. But it just seemed odd that it was good day one but then turned after that. Either way a learning experience and makes me eager to try again. Sadly suddenly all the breweries around me released a creamsicle/orange milkshake ipa recently and now im kind of over that flavor for the time being hahaha.
"Permanent marker" sounds like phenols to me, suggesting a combination of high fermentation temperatures and oxidation. Darkening definitely suggests oxidation - think a cut apple. The speed of degradation might suggest an infection - lots to troubleshoot on this one!

Back