Blending Beer

Meant that while the US-05 starter was at high krausen, pitched it the same day I brewed.

End of second day (after having already pitched US-05 two days earlier), I pitched wlp-099.
Okay...double pitching. That make sense. I forgot this was a high gravity beer. Good that you managed that attenuation. The 77 is quite good and the 85 is really high.

Okay...double pitching. That make sense. I forgot this was a high gravity beer. Good that you managed that attenuation. The 77 is quite good and the 85 is really high.

Yeah, the weird thing to me was that pitching the US-05 at high krausen versus decanting seems to have increased the attenuation significantly.

Again, these beers were not brewed in a scientific format with controls or anything, just seems odd to have that big of a difference.

Yeah, the weird thing to me was that pitching the US-05 at high krausen versus decanting seems to have increased the attenuation significantly.
Yes, that's definitely a thing. When you think about it, chilling the yeast to decant puts it into a dormant state. It has to "wake up" and restart. Also, depending on how you do it, thermal shock can kill some yeasts and resist your yeast count. Pitching an active, lively yeast colony means activity starts immediately and more of the yeast are healthy.

Yes, that's definitely a thing. When you think about it, chilling the yeast to decant puts it into a dormant state. It has to "wake up" and restart. Also, depending on how you do it, thermal shock can kill some yeasts and resist your yeast count. Pitching an active, lively yeast colony means activity starts immediately and more of the yeast are healthy.

I think I will start doing this with all my high gravity beers so they don't end up too sweet.

Reactions: J A

Back