Best yeast for kolsch?

Allen D

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, just wondering if there are any experienced kolsch fans out there that can recommend the best yeast to use? I have used one of the safale/larger brand ones before although i cant remember which one and also a white labs german ale/kolsch yeast. Both were quite good, imperticular the white labs one but i'm interested to know what other kolsch brewers use and reccomend. Thanks.

I love Lalbrew Koln dry yeast. I've heard good things about Imperial Dieter, but I've never used it. I wasn't a big fan of the White Labs Kolsch yeast or Crossmyloof kolsch yeast. Good luck!

Heyyathere Allen....there's about 27 pages of kolsch recipes on the site here under the search section ....besides kolsch, plug in some of your other perimeters like all grain or certain hops or fermentables you want to use and you can narrow that down to see what the frequently used yeast is.....or the alternatives! Besides that, check out the shorter list of yeasts for kolsch here

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeasts/

Good luck ...tell us how it comes out.

WY2565 is still my favorite, but for dry yeast, had a good batch of Kolsch using K-97. Haven't tried the Lalbrew Koln yet--maybe I'll try a side-by-side with that vs. K-97.

If you like fruity wyeast 2565.
If you like tart WLP 029
If you like super clean Wyeast 1007
If you want to go kind of “ out of bounds” 34/70 at 64-66F.
Sunfire suggested Koln yeast, I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve heard good things about.

It’s your call, all suggestions will produce a fine beer.

I've used WLP029 with great results. Pitched at 63F, slowly raised to 67F. Nice and crisp.

On a whim (aka, it was on sale) I tried the same recipe with Omega's Kolsch II. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or user error, but it had a weird finish for my liking.

I love Lalbrew Koln dry yeast. I've heard good things about Imperial Dieter, but I've never used it. I wasn't a big fan of the White Labs Kolsch yeast or Crossmyloof kolsch yeast. Good luck!

Thanks mate, i appreciate your input. I'll look into those. Cheers legend!

Heyyathere Allen....there's about 27 pages of kolsch recipes on the site here under the search section ....besides kolsch, plug in some of your other perimeters like all grain or certain hops or fermentables you want to use and you can narrow that down to see what the frequently used yeast is.....or the alternatives! Besides that, check out the shorter list of yeasts for kolsch here

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeasts/

Good luck ...tell us how it comes out.
Thanks mate, thats great, ill do that and post what i ended up with and more importantly how it went.

If you like fruity wyeast 2565.
If you like tart WLP 029
If you like super clean Wyeast 1007
If you want to go kind of “ out of bounds” 34/70 at 64-66F.
Sunfire suggested Koln yeast, I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve heard good things about.

It’s your call, all suggestions will produce a fine beer.

Ooo ok thanks legend, that gives me plenty to look into. I'm going for clean and crisp so the wyeast 1007 may be the go.

WY2565 is still my favorite, but for dry yeast, had a good batch of Kolsch using K-97. Haven't tried the Lalbrew Koln yet--maybe I'll try a side-by-side with that vs. K-97.
Ok awesome, thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Ok thats
I've used WLP029 with great results. Pitched at 63F, slowly raised to 67F. Nice and crisp.

On a whim (aka, it was on sale) I tried the same recipe with Omega's Kolsch II. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or user error, but it had a weird finish for my liking.
Ok, thats intresting. Thanks for the feedback, ill keep that in mind.

I've used 3 types.
Apex Kolsch
Lallemand Kolsch
White Labs WLP029
Different, but I like them all.
I won't likely use the WLP029 anymore just because it requires me to make either huge or step up starters.
The other 2 can be direct pitched.
Lallemand ferments dryer and can tolerate warmer ferments
Apex has more character but takes longer to clear.

I have only done one Kolsch and an altbier as well using Omega Yeast Labs - Kolsch II OYL-044. Both came out fantastic , so much so I used it yesterday for my rye kolsch.
I would like to do a split batch to do a side by side comparison of kolsch yeasts.

Back