Best Day to Dry Hop?

Which Day is Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
So the new fad is definitely to do as little boil as you can, followed by just BOMBARDING the dry hop. I see a lot of breweries I enjoy, like Black Hops up in the Gold Coast, do AT LEAST 150g of Dry Hop.

I've read a lot of stuff on this, and it seems the biggest concern that exists, is the fact Dry Hopping can actually spark a secondary fermentation.

What is everyone's opinion on Dry Hopping? Think Hazy IPA. I'm working on a White IPA for the summer, and I want to tweak it.

I only brew one IPA. My original schedule was to dry hop at 7 days. Then, I read too much about how I was wasting time and effort on anything more than 3 days. I figured if Richie, Potsy and the rest of the gang were doing it, I should be too. Wrong, it didn’t work for me so I went back to 7 days. I’ve never experienced a secondary fermentation from dry hopping.

Not really sure what you're looking for here but I dry hop while there is still some fermentation activity taking place just so there is less chance of oxidation.

Oh I'm a big fan of black hops their pale ale is Devine. They actually supply our local HBS with hops.

It's a variable you can double dry hop single dry hop transfer your wort through a hop back into fermentor.

I dry hop sometimes at high krausen sometimes receiding krausen but it's hard to catch sometimes with kviek also I hear of other cool dry hopping.

Usually more is better;)

@thunderwagn I like the idea of reducing oxidation, I usually do day 3, when fermentation is probably peak, if not, about to be soon.

Good to know you've never had a secondary fermentation @Semper Sitientem, I have a friend who likes to dry hop late as well, he told me it is a risk, but not one to sweat over. Thought I'd ask though, because everyone has different experiences.

And @Trialben I agree, the more the merrier! I made a recent Mosaic IPA that dry hopped day 3 and 5 50g each, and I thought it was the best beer I've made yet! Also, as to Black Hops, their GOAT Hazy is my current favourite, they're on BrewersFriend as well, so you can see all of their recipes!

@thunderwagn I like the idea of reducing oxidation, I usually do day 3, when fermentation is probably peak, if not, about to be soon.

Good to know you've never had a secondary fermentation @Semper Sitientem, I have a friend who likes to dry hop late as well, he told me it is a risk, but not one to sweat over. Thought I'd ask though, because everyone has different experiences.

And @Trialben I agree, the more the merrier! I made a recent Mosaic IPA that dry hopped day 3 and 5 50g each, and I thought it was the best beer I've made yet! Also, as to Black Hops, their GOAT Hazy is my current favourite, they're on BrewersFriend as well, so you can see all of their recipes!
Yeah I've checked em out oh man there are some ridiculously hopped beers out atm actually not sure where your at but Gash Slug reviewed some Melbourne brewerys recently I recall hop rates as high as 20g/lt!

Yeah I've checked em out oh man there are some ridiculously hopped beers out atm actually not sure where your at but Gash Slug reviewed some Melbourne brewerys recently I recall hop rates as high as 20g/lt!
Had one of theirs last night. They get all the notoriety for their insane IIPA hopping rates and that's mostly what we see in the bottle shops around here. I really like some of their older beers as well, though I imagine they're not making those anymore. They used to be very local to us until they moved out to the south east a few years ago. The move was to open a brewpub and it's taken them forever to convince the council about the pub side of things.

I dry hop sometimes at high krausen sometimes receiding krausen but it's hard to catch sometimes with kviek also I hear of other cool dry hopping.

Usually more is better;)
I have dry hopped at different points in the ferment and noticed different results. Also, such a variation in hops from batch to batch (notably Citra, Mosaic). Lately, I favor dry hopping when pitching yeast or receiding krausen.

I have dry hopped at different points in the ferment and noticed different results. Also, such a variation in hops from batch to batch (notably Citra, Mosaic). Lately, I favor dry hopping when pitching yeast or receiding krausen.
Had a bloke on the Forums years ago @Mark D Pirate I remember he put a kg of hops into one of his beers!:eek::D
Reckoned you could smell the hop aroma from across the table:).

Had a bloke on the Forums years ago @Mark D Pirate I remember he put a kg of hops into one of his beers!:eek::D
Reckoned you could smell the hop aroma from across the table:).
Yeah, I dry hopped 100 grams of Mosaic for my Uncle Greg's IPA recipe, and the entire room smelled like Mosaic for a few days lol. A kg would fill the entire house!

So the new fad is definitely to do as little boil as you can, followed by just BOMBARDING the dry hop. I see a lot of breweries I enjoy, like Black Hops up in the Gold Coast, do AT LEAST 150g of Dry Hop.

I've read a lot of stuff on this, and it seems the biggest concern that exists, is the fact Dry Hopping can actually spark a secondary fermentation.

What is everyone's opinion on Dry Hopping? Think Hazy IPA. I'm working on a White IPA for the summer, and I want to tweak it.

As for what you say above, it seems to be well understood. Here is a video about such a thing.

Best day to dry hop.
Very subjective question.
Depends on the yeast.

Kveik, I will add first addition within hours of pitching, second addition 24-36 hours later.

Any other yeast, first addition approximately 24 hours after pitch, second addition 24-48 hours later.

Hop rate 8-10 grams/liter

I like the idea of a hop rate, and great point about what yeast you're using. At the moment I'm only playing with S04 and S05, and won't use Kviek until probably January or so.

I usually go for day three of fermentation for two reasons: Oxygen, as mentioned above - there's actively fermenting yeast and carbon dioxide to scrub the O2 out - and "biotransformation", whatever it is that yeast does to hops aside from sticking to the oils and dragging them out of suspension when they flocculate.

I find that any dry hops after that phase, if added in any significant volume, bring a metallic harshness, a phenolic flavor, that I really do not like.

I usually go for day three of fermentation for two reasons: Oxygen, as mentioned above - there's actively fermenting yeast and carbon dioxide to scrub the O2 out - and "biotransformation", whatever it is that yeast does to hops aside from sticking to the oils and dragging them out of suspension when they flocculate.

I find that any dry hops after that phase, if added in any significant volume, bring a metallic harshness, a phenolic flavor, that I really do not like.

So if I want more floral, hoppy profile, instead of doing 50g day 3 and 50g day 5, I should just 100g day 3?

The more times you introduce something to the fermentor the more risk you bring of oxygenation so I'd say if your going to dry hop go all in unless you can bubble co2 up through the fermentation vessal before and after the hop addition have gone in to negate this.

Agree with Ben, the fewer times you open the fermentor, the less chance of oxidation. The NEIPA i just posted had 90g hops in the whirlpool, 300 in the fermentor, one addition at 3 days. I used Citra and Galaxy.

Yeah, I watch a group called Genus Brewing on YouTube, and they like 11g/1L. So I should be dry hopping 200g, not 100g, but man, that's a lot of money lol. Hops ain't cheap!

They also did a good video on Hop Creep, and yeah, they recommend Day 3, and they also recommend Dry Hopping at Room Temperature, which is wild, but I've read stuff saying that Fermentation Temp only matters the first 12-48 hours.

Which, I suppose makes sense, I can churn out my IPAs about a batch a week. However, the more time I let it condition, the better. I also let it get warm for a Diacetyl rest.

Yeah, I watch a group called Genus Brewing on YouTube, and they like 11g/1L. So I should be dry hopping 200g, not 100g, but man, that's a lot of money lol. Hops ain't cheap!

They also did a good video on Hop Creep, and yeah, they recommend Day 3, and they also recommend Dry Hopping at Room Temperature, which is wild, but I've read stuff saying that Fermentation Temp only matters the first 12-48 hours.

Which, I suppose makes sense, I can churn out my IPAs about a batch a week. However, the more time I let it condition, the better. I also let it get warm for a Diacetyl rest.
Yeah their also on here too aye.
Search em.
I watch a lot of their content they dig deep into the brewing but i dont always have an hour spare to burn.
We brew we Lern aye that's what were all here for to learn from one another and to become better brewers;).
Looks like your making the right steps in the right direction keep on keeping on man.

Oh and I justify hops like this cup of coffee $6 bag of hops 12$
Cup of coffee 5min of satisfaction couple of bags of hops weeks worth of satisfaction.

Last edited:

Back