Batch Sparge and Runoff

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
So recently, I moved from BIAB to a 48 qrt cooler as a mash tun with a stainless 3/4" braided hose, and batch sparging. Think after about 4 batches now that I've got my numbers pretty well dialed in. The one problem I am experiencing is the runoff. I've got a stainless 1/2" valve fitted with a 1/2" barb and 1/2" silicone hose. I try to start the vorlauf slow to allow the bed to settle and run off till clear. I slowly start opening the valve and continue. Runoff seems slow once I start going. The 1/2" hose never fills up and does a really nice flow like I think it should. On my last brew, I was getting a slow steady stream on my sparge and everything was going nice, then a large 'burp' in the line and all of a sudden I had full flow! Bad part is, some of that wort coming so fast wasn't exactly clear any longer because of the sudden surge. I can work past that part, I guess my question is, am I missing something on the runoff process? I've searched around and haven't really seen anyone mentioning this. It was like a large gurgle and then nice flow although no longer clear. Is there a possibility the hose size is too large for the runoff? Not allowing to fill to proper level to pull properly?
Prior to brewing, I did check for obstruction in valve and braided hose, so no clogs. My current thoughts are a clamp on the silicone tubing downstream from the valve, or possibly moving to a smaller outlet barb on the valve and smaller line.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about flow rate being slow...if it's draining and not stuck, let it go. Sparge should be slow - up to 30 minutes. Mine usually only goes about 20 minutes or so because I'm using my pump for a fly sparge and if I restrict the flow too much, it stops pumping.

Whenever I use a quick disconnect from my Mash Tun, the flow is always inconsistent. What did help was when I made the hose shorter. Previously, the hose was submerged in the boil kettle. For whatever "Physics" or "Hydraulics" reasons, not having the hose submerged worked a lot better. I stay with using the hose so I can "siphon" the bottom of the mash tun. Otherwis I leave almost a gallon of wort behind.

Give your hose a blow to break the bubble, also let it settle before running off

I guess what I'm more concerned about is the sudden rush which disrupts the grain bed. I can work around slow if need be. The behavior isn't like a stuck sparge. Typically, stuck is stuck and doesn't break free without some type of interference. This reminded me more of an airlock that finally 'burps' and allows the pressure to be released. I'm thinking a clamp to allow opening of valve and getting a visual of actual flow...if that makes sense.

It's definitely the braided hose.....compaction from the grain above causes the "issue" at hand, however it doesn't appear to hinder your efforts. I would go with a false bottom if you can brother....alleviate the inability to issue the flow you want during runoff.

Back