Barrio Citrazona recipie

Chaos home brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
I sure like the IPA Citrazona from Barrio Brewery in Arizona. How would a noob like me try to attempt the recipe? Is there an experienced brewer who wants to take a crack at developing the recipe? I'll certainly brew it

Barrio Brewery is a brewery in Arizona, started in Tucson but they expanded to Phoenix. I'm unclear of how far their distribution reaches but guessing it is only Arizona. I have seen them in Safeway and other grocery stores in Tucson and Phoenix.

From the website --> This smooth, citrus IPA is delicately brewed with hops that lend it a tangerine finish and easy drinkability. Sure to be Arizona's favorite new local IPA! ABV:6.6 IBU:68

http://barriobrewing.co/

Sometimes breweries will post the grains and hops used. Not much to go on with their description. Google IPA Citrazona clone. Maybe you’ll find something.

Right, I wish they would give more info! I tried the google but nothing useful came up. Thank you for your response.

Sometimes that happens. It always amazes me when you can find specific malts and hops used, along with ABV and IBU. In my opinion and experience, that’s enough info to make a beer that at least tastes good, if not like what you tried to make.

This should be a reasonable starting place:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/592212/citrazona-sort-of
I threw that together based on a couple of descriptions and an article where the owner/brewer discusses hops. It's definitely (and predictably) Simcoe, Citra, and Mosaic. You could play with hop additions, etc, but if you brewed it, you probably wouldn't be disappointed. Water additions, you're sort of on your own, but if you keep it simple and just adjust for PH in your local (filtered) water or bottled spring water, you'd probably be okay.

This is very similar to the malt bill that I use for basic Pales and IPAs. The addition of the Honey Malt is a nod to some of the reviewers that noted a hint of honey in the flavor. Honey malt will mostly lend sweetness, but it's a good addition to "juicy" IPAs. I plan to use some the next time I re-formulate an IPA. I suspect that some Crystal 40 or Caramunich would be included in the breweries recipe and you could make a small addition of either to push the color into a more golden/copper/amber range. Or just boost the Biscuit by a quarter lb or so.
For bittering, I like to use Magnum or Warrior depending on whether I want to accentuate the dank or piney qualities in the hop profile, but Simcoe is a great bittering hop and it avoids having to buy another kind of hops for one recipe. You're going to get the big citrus/tropical notes from the Citra/Mosaic combo and the Simcoe will provide a big, dank, smooth pine/fruit palette for the other flavors to lay across.
Good luck! ;)

Thanks JA. So I did brew the recipe you provided and must say it is very close to the target! My son even said he likes this better!

Next time I think I'll try the biscuit at 8 oz.
The target is a little more citrusy and the home brew was a little more hoppy. Color is very close but home brewed one is a very little lighter.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out. :)
You can push the hops later to increase flavor without adding bitterness. Also, you can do something as simple as adding a little orange zest at the end of the boil if it suits your taste.

Hmm that looks good, I should try it.

I don't have any Mosaic so I'll have to alter it a bit but I think it will still be interesting.

I threw this recipe together to help the OP get a start on figuring this beer out, but I have to say, I might brew it myself. I might go with Mosaic or a combination for the dry-hop, but it does seem like it'd be a pretty good beer.

I'd be curious to hear the result.

Back