barley roasting.

@Megary
Here is the comparison. As you can see. Very dark

View attachment 25371
Crack em across the kernel there minibari just to see if that roast has gone all the way through.

That's something I tried last batch of malt i kilned I left the grain in the oven but killed the element and left the fan on malt was darker In the beer for sure. That's that blonde ale that turned into a pale ale lol
20230511_163354.jpg

Crack em across the kernel there minibari just to see if that roast has gone all the way through.

That's something I tried last batch of malt i kilned I left the grain in the oven but killed the element and left the fan on malt was darker In the beer for sure. That's that blonde ale that turned into a pale ale lolView attachment 25377
oh ya. they are that color all the way through. my understand of it is, once they got hot enough, the reaction happens all the way through.

honestly I almost burned em, lol. the hull doesnt turn color at all, so I wasnt sure it was roasting. my wife suggested I taste some and see what it was like. it was definately toastey.

oh ya. they are that color all the way through. my understand of it is, once they got hot enough, the reaction happens all the way through.

honestly I almost burned em, lol. the hull doesnt turn color at all, so I wasnt sure it was roasting. my wife suggested I taste some and see what it was like. it was definately toastey.
True that and I suppose at higher temperatures leaving the malt in on the cool down would surely char the crap out of it.

True that and I suppose at higher temperatures leaving the malt in on the cool down would surely char the crap out of it.
ya, I cooled it on the counter, lol

So here it is. Color looks right.

20230512_133747.jpg

Oh noice not dark enough for Dark Mild but brown ale Tick just needs a splash of some roast malt hey minibari?

That'll brink it into the pitch black territory
could be. it got darker as the mash went on. so will have to see how it comes out.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1363286/street-corn-lager

This is my first go at it, so I’m not sure what percentage of corn I should use, but it’s just a simple lager with toasted corn malt. I think a slice of lime in the glass might be nice.
Weird the corn has a higher ppg than the pilsner :rolleyes:.

Or Mandarina Bavaria (not used it myself) or 34/70 I found even this Nova Lager yeast has projected a lovely light lemony vibe to my beer.

It's wierd your linked recipie doesnt show percentages which is handy across the brewing world (metric:Imperial ).

Though it looks your adding what 10% of corn.

Fwiw One thing I've found through using rice as a base is give it an extra couple of weeks lagering to Meld out.
Think of it as smoothing off the rough edges so that the good things can shine out.
This batch of yours my need some lagering time maybe...

When I go the brew this corn beer I'm thinking a 50:50 split rice corn I'll keep everything lightly kilned so I can get a good taste of the base grains.

I know there are some GF breweries in America using exclusively Corn and I'm sure doing that Chicha brew.

Looking forward to your beer in the glass.

could be. it got darker as the mash went on. so will have to see how it comes out.
Oh you brewing cool yeah see where it lands looks good though definitely contributed plenty of colour.

Hey you could always cap it with some roast malt to get some more depth.

Oh you brewing cool yeah see where it lands looks good though definitely contributed plenty of colour.

Hey you could always cap it with some roast malt to get some more depth.
ya, didnt quite get the color I wanted, but I does taste really good, lol. will have to try again :\

ya, didnt quite get the color I wanted, but I does taste really good, lol. will have to try again :\
Yup I'd do the same man.
Especially after spending the effort toasting them I'd wanna know what flavour colour difference they would contribute.

Weird the corn has a higher ppg than the pilsner :rolleyes:.

Or Mandarina Bavaria (not used it myself) or 34/70 I found even this Nova Lager yeast has projected a lovely light lemony vibe to my beer.

It's wierd your linked recipie doesnt show percentages which is handy across the brewing world (metric:Imperial ).

Though it looks your adding what 10% of corn.

Fwiw One thing I've found through using rice as a base is give it an extra couple of weeks lagering to Meld out.
Think of it as smoothing off the rough edges so that the good things can shine out.
This batch of yours my need some lagering time maybe...

When I go the brew this corn beer I'm thinking a 50:50 split rice corn I'll keep everything lightly kilned so I can get a good taste of the base grains.

I know there are some GF breweries in America using exclusively Corn and I'm sure doing that Chicha brew.

Looking forward to your beer in the glass.
Not sure why you aren’t seeing grain bill percentages.
But that’s 84oz of Pils and 16oz Corn. Adds up nicely to 100oz and thus easily convertible to 84 and 16% respectively.

Point taken on lagering time. I do expect this to stay cold for a bit before sampling.

Not sure why you aren’t seeing grain bill percentages.
But that’s 84oz of Pils and 16oz Corn. Adds up nicely to 100oz and thus easily convertible to 84 and 16% respectively.

Point taken on lagering time. I do expect this to stay cold for a bit before sampling.
Oh nope yup I just went back and looked ignore the percentage thing just being a Dumb arse again lol.

Just a little comparison for those curious what 30 minutes at 325F will do for Corn Malt.

Here’s a mini-mash. One cup has roasted Blue Corn Malt (L) and the other un-roasted Blue Corn Malt.
The aroma of the regular malt was all corn, with a clean, sweet, corn on the cob taste to it.
The aroma of the roasted corn malt was very reminiscent of Barley. The taste was tea-like and a bit nutty with obvious barley notes. No obvious corn flavor, but maybe a touch of that sweetness if you try and find it.

The Blue Corn Malt sure has a purplish tint to it!

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

How's this beer coming along @Megary ?
Conditioning/lagering right now. It has been about 1-1/2 weeks since I kegged it and will likely be that again before I tap it. The sample I had at packaging seemed hopeful, but I’m skeptical that the “roasting” will eventually add much, other than a bit of color. But it’s hard to say from a flat sample. I’ll certainly keep you posted.

Back