Artificial Intelligence Beer!!! Nahhhhh

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A friend was showing me this AI app, you can ask it anything and it just starts spitting out data.
You can ask it to write a 3000 word essay on the migration of the Monarch Butterfly. Roughly 60 seconds later it is done.
I asked him to ask it to write a recipe for a black IPA.
After seeing what it came up with it seems pretty obvious to me that it takes the first internet search result and spits it out.

Here is the result, not a great recipe if you ask me.
No reference to capping the mash with the dark grains.
The dextrin doesn't belong, too much crystal in my opinion.
Spoiler alert too, not enough hops in my opinion:rolleyes:
It would however be beer, so there is that.

Write a recipe for a black ipa beer

Ingredients:

• 8 lbs (3.6 kg) Maris Otter malt

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Caramel malt (60L)

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal malt (120L)

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Roasted barley

• 0.5 lb (0.23 kg) Chocolate malt

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Dextrin malt

• 1 oz (28 g) Warrior hops (bittering)

• 1 oz (28 g) Centennial hops (flavor)
  • Cascade hops (aroma)

• 1 tsp Irish moss (clarifying agent)

• 1 package of American Ale yeast

• 5 oz (142 g) Priming sugar (for bottling)

• Water (as needed)

Instructions:

1 Crush all the malts together and place them in a large grain bag.

2 Heat 8 quarts (7.6 liters) of water to 160°F (71°C) and place the bag of crushed malt into the water.

3 Steep the malt for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 Remove the grain bag from the water and let it drain.

5 Add the Warrior hops to the water and boil for 60 minutes.

6 At the 30-minute mark, add the Centennial hops.

7 At the 10-minute mark, add the Cascade hops and the Irish moss.

8 After the boil, cool the wort down to 70°F (21°C) as quickly as possible.

9 Transfer the wort to a fermenter and add enough cool water to bring the volume to 5 gallons (18.9 liters).

10 Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort well.

11 Ferment the beer at 68°F (20°C) for 7 days or until the gravity has stabilized.
12 Rack the beer into a secondary fermenter and let it sit for an additional 14 days.

13 Prime the beer with the priming sugar and bottle it.

14 Store the bottled beer at room temperature for 2 weeks to carbonate.

15 Enjoy your homemade Black IPA!

Note: The above recipe is just a guideline and the specifics can be adjusted based on personal preferences and equipment. The malt, hops, yeast, and water all play a role in the final flavor, so feel free to experiment to find your perfect Black IPA.

A friend was showing me this AI app, you can ask it anything and it just starts spitting out data.
You can ask it to write a 3000 word essay on the migration of the Monarch Butterfly. Roughly 60 seconds later it is done.
After seeing what it came up with it seems pretty obvious to me that it takes the first internet search result and spits it out.

Ingredients:

• Cascade hops (aroma)

• Water (as needed)

Instructions:

2 Heat 8 quarts (7.6 liters) of water to 160°F (71°C) and place the bag of crushed malt into the water.

9 Transfer the wort to a fermenter and add enough cool water to bring the volume to 5 gallons (18.9 liters).

11 Ferment the beer at 68°F (20°C) for 7 days or until the gravity has stabilized.
12 Rack the beer into a secondary fermenter and let it sit for an additional 14 days.

Note: The above recipe is just a guideline and the specifics can be adjusted based on personal preferences and equipment. The malt, hops, yeast, and water all play a role in the final flavor, so feel free to experiment to find your perfect Black IPA.
Yeah gashslug brewed a beer or is brewing a beer generated from AI ATM too pretty cool as you'll see in the link he had to correct the program a few times to bring it up to speed but eventually made a near decent beer.

I will argue that there is no thinking going on with the AI software, it is just a search engine gleaning information from a search result.
You rekon it spits out the average amounts based upon the search recipie?

So average base malt character malt hop amounts for an IPA for instance?

That one Gash was using he could tell it no crystal malt.
Or ABV 6% ect ect

You rekon it spits out the average amounts based upon the search recipie?

So average base malt character malt hop amounts for an IPA for instance?

That one Gash was using he could tell it no crystal malt.
Or ABV 6% ect ect
I really do believe that it is just a glorified Google search result, the more keywords you give it the more specific the results will be. It is pretty bizarre though. I watched it essentially typing that recipe out on his phone screen, and commented on it as it went. Maris Otter, nice choice for basemalt, Crystal malt, not sure I would use so much of that... and so on

I really do believe that it is just a glorified Google search result, the more keywords you give it the more specific the results will be. It is pretty bizarre though. I watched it essentially typing that recipe out on his phone screen, and commented on it as it went. Maris Otter, nice choice for basemalt, Crystal malt, not sure I would use so much of that... and so on
Seems like a lotta grain for 8 liters water. Not sure there will be enough liquid to wet the fermenter after grain absorption.

While it is not as simple as 'repeating the first search it finds' the results are about as useless as Siri's "Here's what I found".

I think artificial stupidity would work better.

I honestly didn't read the recipe that close to notice the amount of water, that's actually kinda funny!

They call it "Artificial " for a very good reason...
Don't get me started on this and that's coming from someone in IT! This is a perfect example of all the pitfalls such a system where people expect Hal or Watson to solve all their problems but it only creates more issues far beyond anything that anyone imagined and it's as simple as what @Craigerrr and @Donoroto point out...gaping holes that ultimately lead to complete failure or lack luster results at best.

Double post, so just to say something:
We could even make it NINO (nonsense in etc)

Ingredients:

• Cascade hops (aroma)

• Water (as needed)

Instructions:

brian banks net worth

How does the process of brewing Artificial Intelligence Beer compare to traditional beer-making methods, and what are the potential advantages and disadvantages of using AI in the brewing process?

It was more of an AI recipe, than an AI process. I like how yhe recipe actually just said "water as needed" maybe that part of the recipe was confused with growing house plants.

There was another video posted on this idea by the Brulosophy channel. I found that video fascinating. Not from the recipe development point of view, but from how he got the ai model to pay more attention to the recipes he specified rather than the set of data that would have been put into the model by the OpenAI process. I can see that being a fairly important way of expanding the use of these tools.

I've used a few of these tools and they're coming close for me. For the coding side of my job they're nearly there, but not quite. They're faster than the resources I currently use, but they do give you the wrong code too many times, so you spend the same amount of time as you have to go back to source materials too often.

For the writing documents/presentations/sales side of the job they're useful, though mainly as a way to generate a first draft. I've seen a bunch of people saying how good they are teaching them to code in another language and that makes a lot of sense.

It'll be interesting to see if they can take that next step to be more than occasionally useful, or if they'll need another generation of innovation and development to get to that stage.

I think you guys are selling the latest AI short. 15 be years ago, no i don't think it would be possible. Today? You can get a 64 core 3ghz xenon processor for a few grand. The ability for programming to allow actual thinking is here. Can it replace the reasoning centers of the human brain, not yet. ;) But i bet it's not far away

I think you guys are selling the latest AI short. 15 be years ago, no i don't think it would be possible. Today? You can get a 64 core 3ghz xenon processor for a few grand. The ability for programming to allow actual thinking is here. Can it replace the reasoning centers of the human brain, not yet. ;) But i bet it's not far away
I just don't understand the why of it

Back