Apex yeasts, anyone?

I pitched Apex London 2 days ago and the fermentation is barely happening. It is in an low abv stout and the gravity has gone from 1.044 to 1.039 in 2 days. I read where this yeast is a fast starter and finishes in about 7 days. Unless this thing picks up, 7 days will be surpassed.
Did you check the freshness date?

Let's hope so. I also have the San Diego I was going to try in a couple of weeks. Now I'm not sure I want to. The good thing is I have time to see if this London works. It's a St Patty's day stout so......
So I brewed an ipa yesturday. Went into the tank at 15.6 P @ 35.9C. Pitched 250g of apex voss and 1.5lpm of O2. Knocked out at 5pm. Jackets set to 38C

This morning The tank is down to 6P and the tank heated up to 37.5c.

Apex Voss is great.

My sour though is still struggling at the moment. I'm thinking that I might take some active voss from my current tank and pitch it into my sour to hopefully not have it stall out at 8p. But who knows.

The London finally started but not vigorously. Last check, 1.016. I prolly won't buy this yeast again. I still have a 3rd of a pack left.

The London finally started but not vigorously. Last check, 1.016. I prolly won't buy this yeast again. I still have a 3rd of a pack left.
ya the voss is down to 4.1 on the 3rd day...just doing voss stuff.

the chico is sucking balls. but it had a very rough childhood.

I am thinking that i will pitch fruit and a bunch of active voss into the batch. the ph is rough but voss is tough. hopefully the fruit will have enough simple sugars to kick start the fermentation... or atleast thats what im thinking about doing.

Batch size, OG and temp?
Sorry I just saw this. Batch = 1.75 gal, OG = 1.044. temp = 68F It's going just very slowly. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not in a hurry for this beer, it just didn't look like it was going to do anything. I'll stick to my regular yeasts.

Sorry I just saw this. Batch = 1.75 gal, OG = 1.044. temp = 68F It's going just very slowly. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not in a hurry for this beer, it just didn't look like it was going to do anything. I'll stick to my regular yeasts.
I brew a lot. I'll get more data and share it once I am in full busy season.

Based on this, I'd have pitched 4 grams.
Interesting that you're having very different results than what I've had.
Hopefully it finishes great for you.
Cheers,
Brian

Second batch of voss this week. Knocked at 5pm last night.

Temp 36.3c
Og 12.5p
250grams apex voss($25)
This morning(930am) 3.6p

Brewing the second batch to go into the same tank...I should probably just dryhop it while I knock out lol.

The tank from Monday is almost at terminal 75% attenuation 6.62 abv.

Voss does not mess around. That could have been a 6.7% abv juicy ipa in less then a week(if I was willing to work on the weekend). As it is I'm gonna dryhop today and that will be kegged off on Tuesday. So 8 days grain to glass.

Taste is great. Good haze.

Last edited:
Cheers,
Brian
I'm guessing something went wrong Temps wise in the process. Or there was a lack of small sugars/nutrient/o2

Second batch of my session ipa went in last night at 5p. 12.5P knocked at about 100f w/o o2.

This morning the overall batch was at 3.3P.

I dryhopped it this morning! I will crash it on Monday and carbonate it on Tuesday. Should be able to keg it off on Tuesday or Wednesday!

That is hands down the fastest ipa batch that I have ever done!

My bigger IPA was also dryhopped today! 2 IPAs in under 10 days!

Attachments

• 17062905533852822287141403609893.jpg
    17062905533852822287141403609893.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 15
Cheers,
Brian
I think it will be fine. I'm going to leave it alone and see where we get to. Either way, it'll be beer and someone will drink it.

Back