My clone came out pretty good. I'm going to try to get it bottled this weekend, will see what it's like. And I have one can for a side-by-side comparison.

Yep it's shared now. I'd lose one of the crystal malts if not both and get your colour from some Carrafa malts that way your lager doesn't come across sweet but more balanced and crisper. I'd use something noble as the hop type too but I like to keep a little more traditional with lagers just because i find it works. But I don't know what your aiming for here. Just my 2c is all.

If you can I'd mash nice and low for at least 60 mins to start with then step from there into your dextrin rest to Finnish I go to 71c that way hopefully getting a nice supper fermentable wort that's going to attenuate well for you and ballance out that sweetness that's in there.
Add not sure if you can drop that ph down a bit...
Good luck let me know what you think

Yep it's shared now. I'd lose one of the crystal malts if not both and get your colour from some Carrafa malts that way your lager doesn't come across sweet but more balanced and crisper. I'd use something noble as the hop type too but I like to keep a little more traditional with lagers just because i find it works. But I don't know what your aiming for here. Just my 2c is all.

If you can I'd mash nice and low for at least 60 mins to start with then step from there into your dextrin rest to Finnish I go to 71c that way hopefully getting a nice supper fermentable wort that's going to attenuate well for you and ballance out that sweetness that's in there.
Add not sure if you can drop that ph down a bit...
Good luck let me know what you think
I like the thought of removing one of the crystals too... was a bit concerned I was getting too much. However, I am now concerned that I'm getting too much roasted barley in there. Thoughts?

As far as the hop schedule, I like cascade in my lagers. Not had any cluster, but that's the schedule ppl are saying is in Yuengling Lager, not that it carries a hop punch of any recognizable size...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/784742/god-s-country

Yeah that's a lot of roasted barley. I would use dehusked carafa III which is closer to 525L and is super smooth. Also you could use Crystal 60 or something darker than 40

4 oz of carafa III (half as much as RB) and 1 lb of crystal 60 gives me a SRM of 12.5

Last edited:
Interesting. Carafa III shows up for me as 535L in brewers friend but 470 for you

Interesting. Carafa III shows up for me as 535L in brewers friend but 470 for you
Are you sure the 470 isn't carafe 1 or 2? They make 3 types higher number is darker than the lower numbered ones.

Are you sure the 470 isn't carafe 1 or 2? They make 3 types higher number is darker than the lower numbered ones.
I just went back and found the 535L one.

Also, I noticed on NB when looking for the product to actually purchase that it shows "Carafa III" to have a Lovibond rating anywhere between 470L-565L

I just went back and found the 535L one.

Also, I noticed on NB when looking for the product to actually purchase that it shows "Carafa III" to have a Lovibond rating anywhere between 470L-565L

I usually average them. I use something like 340 for I, 470 for II, and 525 for III. If the color is off, adjust next batch. My last Vienna was a shade darker than I wanted so I went from II to I on the next batch.

Back