Alternate Fermentations.

Having a bit of that Kraut on my sandwich today it's got a bit of that tang already and really compliments the sanga yum!
20220419_112506.jpg

You got that kraut done real fast!

From what I know about it, there's always sauerkraut at the Thanksgiving table with the turkey if you're one of Baltimore's German families. Though I have never heard of anyone else outside of Baltimore having it, I always thought it added a nice zing to the meal but then I didn't know that "essezike" was not a fancy synonym for a knife fork and a spoon until I was in my 20's! Ah the things your parents teach you!

I cold pickled some peppers last year but decided I liked the fresh better...I'm going to give anther go to wine later this year and wanna give "booch", cheese and yogurt a shot.

Next batch done tonight another whole red cabbage and this time 4 carrots.
20220727_193722.jpg

Love how vibrant pink this stuff gets.

Oh lady from local shop said chuck the last Kraut juice into the next batch which I've done .

Also bought these the other day at local veg shop
20220727_193733.jpg

Can I do these pickling onions in 2%salt brine for a lacto style fermentation?
@Yooper
@Zambezi Special
I'll consult Dr Google but thought I'd put it out there.
Cheers.
Koomboocha is still brewed weekly just don't post pics it's boring.

I do Wine kits from time to time. Used to make a lot but didn't drink enough of it. Wound up pouring a bunch out so now its once or twice a year.

Next batch done tonight another whole red cabbage and this time 4 carrots.
View attachment 21624
Love how vibrant pink this stuff gets.

Oh lady from local shop said chuck the last Kraut juice into the next batch which I've done .

Also bought these the other day at local veg shopView attachment 21625
Can I do these pickling onions in 2%salt brine for a lacto style fermentation?
@Yooper
@Zambezi Special
I'll consult Dr Google but thought I'd put it out there.
Cheers.
Koomboocha is still brewed weekly just don't post pics it's boring.
Yep you can :)
2-3 % salt is what I see most for lacto fermentation.
More salt is a slower fermentation, which is nice when it is hot. I use 2-2.5%

Yep you can :)
2-3 % salt is what I see most for lacto fermentation.
More salt is a slower fermentation, which is nice when it is hot. I use 2-2.5%
Thankyou Zambezi gunna get these little fellas into a jar soon .

I met a lady who recently opened up her own Sourdough bakery here on the coast. She's from Serbia and they are serious about fermenting food over there. She uses her mom's sourdough culture which I got to try and smell. I'd say it's over 40 years old. Very cheesey smelling and tasting some of their long ferment sourdough crackers like cheddar cheese just from the sourdough wow!
Anyhow she ferments the cabbage whole in a hombrew bucket tis how they do it she rekons.
She said you can also drink the Kraut liquid if you've got a crook gut.

What is a hatch chili @sunfire?
They look to be bigger than most chili, sort of inbetween a pointy bell pepper and a chili pepper?

I wasn't too far off!
They reminded me of those
https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Holland_Puntpaprika_Peppers_18357.php

And just for fun:
One of my spanish chili peppers (lombok) suddenly decided to grow a total different size fruit
View attachment 21648
I was worried they weren't hot when I sampled some but I figured I could add chili powder after fermentation to get it spicy. Then when i was chopping them up it was obvious there was some spice present :D hoping for for a quick ferment on this one, would like to process the sauce next week

Have you tried making sambal?
Check my link on the currently watched youtube's. The video made me smile, but it's a real good chili paste!

Back