Alternate Fermentations.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread and see what we're fermenting other than beer.

I'm heading back down the koomboocha route after getting a stomach bug.
Thinking I'm gunna drink some beer and drink some booch who knows.
20220410_150750.jpg

First booch I've done in years.
My recipie
1600ml water boiled
4 tea bags black tea
100g raw sugar or any sucrose.
Wait till cooles to room temp
That's where I'm at.

What are you fermenting other than beer

Kimchie?

Any pointers on koomboocha?
Cool I look forward to brewing some gut healthy booch.:)

Last edited:
I've done kombucha, hot sauce, and pickled veggies a few times. Need to get back into it now that the weather is warming up again

I got a bucket full of chili's fermenting.
Open fermentation
I will use the (diluted) concoction as an insecticide ;)

I do wine, kombucha, kimchee, other veggies (pickled carrots, beets, cucumbers), sauerkraut, gochujang, cider, cheese (less now, but still feta), hot sauce, etc.
I have a ton of wine to package, and a small 1.5 gallon batch of kombucha finishing up right now. I'm getting low on gochujang and kimchee, but have lots of pickles in the cold fridge from last fall. I tend to make things faster than I can use them.

Not fermentation related, but I"ve been on a soapmaking binge since helping out with soapmakingfriend.com and getting that software updated and released again. Going to try a pine tar bar for my daughter this weekend if the pine tar arrives. I normally do normal bath soaps, liquid soaps, bath salts, lotions and balms, etc, but the pine tar soap will be new to me.

I do wine, kombucha, kimchee, other veggies (pickled carrots, beets, cucumbers), sauerkraut, gochujang, cider, cheese (less now, but still feta), hot sauce, etc.
I have a ton of wine to package, and a small 1.5 gallon batch of kombucha finishing up right now. I'm getting low on gochujang and kimchee, but have lots of pickles in the cold fridge from last fall. I tend to make things faster than I can use them.

Not fermentation related, but I"ve been on a soapmaking binge since helping out with soapmakingfriend.com and getting that software updated and released again. Going to try a pine tar bar for my daughter this weekend if the pine tar arrives. I normally do normal bath soaps, liquid soaps, bath salts, lotions and balms, etc, but the pine tar soap will be new to me.
So my scoby (bought from market 1st use) has dropped from the top to the bottom now.
Also I see what looks like a tiny bit of brown trub on the bottom.

I'm thinking this is second stage of fermentation or something not right?
I'll take a pic when home.

It has a tart vinagary taste quite nice when sampled this morn.

I put the lid on the jar (pictured above) just without the rubber seal.
But after musing about it took it off and replaced with a cloth on top so ferment can breath more incase oxygen is needed or something.

Whatdya think Yooper?
Just chill and have a hombrewed beer/booch:p

I've made sauerkraut, lacto-fermented cucumber, chili, onions, cider and hot sauced
But also sourdough ;)
Does yoghurt count? Made that as well.

@Yooper: how do you make cochujang? That's a bit like chili bean paste isn't it? I've recently bought a jar, but haven't tried it yet.

I would love to make tempeh, but getting the ingredients here is not easy.

Will be crushing up some red cabbage this weekend adding 2% salt by weight to the mix and getting some Kraut souring I suppose :).

I've been eating store bought kraut every day on my work sandwiches.

Hey anyone got any other ideas for using Kraut in cooking?

Will be crushing up some red cabbage this weekend adding 2% salt by weight to the mix and getting some Kraut souring I suppose :).

I've been eating store bought kraut every day on my work sandwiches.

Tastes great on a hot dog with tomatoes and onions

Mashed with potatoes, then with sausage (rookworst) en spek (sort of streaky bacon).
Your wife is Dutch, isn't she? She will know what I mean ;)
Or the Surinam way of preparing it, with lots if chili (madam janet) and rice.

Mashed with potatoes, then with sausage (rookworst) en spek (sort of streaky bacon).
Your wife is Dutch, isn't she? She will know what I mean ;)
Or the Surinam way of preparing it, with lots if chili (madam janet) and rice.
Well her Mum is:D.
She's Aussie like me who wouldn't know the front from the back on a rookworst:).

Here's my first bootch looks like the Scoby is back up the top maybe after putting the cloth on top.
20220414_194222.jpg

Last edited:
Unstuffed Cabbage. Normally one would mix meat, some rice, onions, kraut and such and roll it into cabbage leaves for stuffed cabbage, but that's too much work. We just make it all like a soup almost, shredded cabbage and all the other ingredients, not much liquid. Great slow cooker meal.

Yeah like @Sunfire96 says, on a hot dog is probably the way most Ami's eat Kraut.

I've made sauerkraut, lacto-fermented cucumber, chili, onions, cider and hot sauced
But also sourdough ;)
Does yoghurt count? Made that as well.

@Yooper: how do you make cochujang? That's a bit like chili bean paste isn't it? I've recently bought a jar, but haven't tried it yet.

I would love to make tempeh, but getting the ingredients here is not easy.

Gochujang is a fairly simple paste. I start with light DME, sweet rice flour, non-iodized salt, some miso if I have it, and Korean chili flakes in a boiled paste and then ferment in a crock with the top open on sunny days.

@Trialben : choucroute garni :D
Definitely not for vegetarians. Classic French preparation.

I like your red sauerkraut!

@Yooper
difficult ingredients for me to get, but will try. I suppose I better taste my commercial one first.
Sunny days are not a problem though:cool:

Ok made some sauerkraut today 2% salt by weight.
View attachment 20239I'm trying one in a jar with sandwich bag filled with water to push the cabbage down.

And other one is in a sandwich bag with air squeezed out.
Will it blow up we will find out:)
I'll be amazed if the sandwich bag doesn't leak all the gas out. I've seen lots of fermentations done in vacuum sealed bags tho, but those are guaranteed to seal shut

I'll be amazed if the sandwich bag doesn't leak all the gas out. I've seen lots of fermentations done in vacuum sealed bags tho, but those are guaranteed to seal shut
Will have to wait n see.;)

It was a spur of the moment light bulb moment rejogged from DR Hans who did something similar put in one of them food vacuum seal ones.
I'm happy with sandwich bags I've even made crystal malt in them once and had them submerged full of wet roasted grains in a 60min water bath mash:p

Back