Affect of fruit on gravity

toffle

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
I’ve got 5.5 gal wheat beer in the fermenter with an OG of 1.052. I plan on adding 2kg of mangoes after peak fermentation. I am trying to calculate how this will affect the gravity numbers so that I can have an accurate ABV at the end of fermentation. I am assuming that the OG as I recorded will not be an adequate representation of available sugars for the yeast to work upon. How do I determine the new value?

Thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers!
Tom

Greetings!
I’ve got 5.5 gal wheat beer in the fermenter with an OG of 1.052. I plan on adding 2kg of mangoes after peak fermentation. I am trying to calculate how this will affect the gravity numbers so that I can have an accurate ABV at the end of fermentation. I am assuming that the OG as I recorded will not be an adequate representation of available sugars for the yeast to work upon. How do I determine the new value?

Thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers!
Tom
Wow that's a tough one I've no idea is there any info online on fruit purees? That might give you a gravity idea then using Weight of fruit you may be able to calculate gravity contribution.
Here's a discussion on it may help
https://discussions.probrewer.com/f...nsorship/16962-fruit-purees-and-sugar-content

Wow that's a tough one I've no idea is there any info online on fruit purees? That might give you a gravity idea then using Weight of fruit you may be able to calculate gravity contribution.
Here's a discussion on it may help
https://discussions.probrewer.com/f...nsorship/16962-fruit-purees-and-sugar-content

Thanks! That's an interesting discussion. If I had a refractometer, I'd do a measurement on the puree.

I just discovered that the BF recipes app has an entry for mango under fermentables. When I designed the recipe, I just input the fruit as "other ingredients". (Actually, truth be known, I was planning a raspberry wheat, but got sticker shocked at the supermarket, and opted for mangoes at half the price instead.) Anyway, by adding the fruit as a fermentable, it boosted my OG by about four points, and the projected FG by one, so that may be the answer to my question. If anyone else can suggest a different value, please let me know.

What I love about brewing... It's a creative pursuit, but science abounds!

Cheers!
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks! That's an interesting discussion. If I had a refractometer, I'd do a measurement on the puree.

I just discovered that the BF recipes app has an entry for mango under fermentables. When I designed the recipe, I just input the fruit as "other ingredients". (Actually, truth be known, I was planning a raspberry wheat, but got sticker shocked at the supermarket, and opted for mangoes at half the price instead.) Anyway, by adding the fruit as a fermentable, it boosted my OG by about four points, and the projected FG by one, so that may be the answer to my question. If anyone else can suggest a different value, please let me know.

What I love about brewing... It's a creative pursuit, but science abounds!

Cheers!
Tom
Not sure if this will help but I make a Mango Milkshake NEIPA (15-20 batches....so far)
I add my Mango 1 min before flameout, this is mostly to sterilize it.
on my respite the 2kg of mango only change the OG by 3 points 1.054 with mango 1.051 without. FG stays the same.
...........All this talk about Mango beer, think I'll brew a batch tomorrow!!

Not sure if this will help but I make a Mango Milkshake NEIPA (15-20 batches....so far)
I add my Mango 1 min before flameout, this is mostly to sterilize it.
on my respite the 2kg of mango only change the OG by 3 points 1.054 with mango 1.051 without. FG stays the same.
...........All this talk about Mango beer, think I'll brew a batch tomorrow!!

Thanks so much for your reply! I pasteurized (and inoculated) my mango before adding it to the fermenter after four days. I’m unsure how long I should leave it in the beer. I’m fairly confident that I’ve avoided infection and/or oxidation so far, so I’d like to just let it be until I bottle, which should be a week from today.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks so much for your reply! I pasteurized (and inoculated) my mango before adding it to the fermenter after four days. I’m unsure how long I should leave it in the beer. I’m fairly confident that I’ve avoided infection and/or oxidation so far, so I’d like to just let it be until I bottle, which should be a week from today.

Cheers,
Tom
I've had success adding fruit to one of my saisons using SMB it's used in food preservation and it's an oxygen scavenger all in one.
The trick is using the right amount.

Sometimes using the heat pasturisation method can rid some volatile subtle fruit compounds.
I look forward to seeing this in the glass:)

Back