Additional Victory to Extract Kit - Suggestions?

Angry Chemist

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm brewing a dunkelweizen this weekend and i'm looking to increase the bready character somewhat. I'm relatively new to brewing so I'm trying to determine how much malt I should steep.

The steeping grains included in the Deep Dark Wheat Extract Kit from Midwest are 8oz carapils and 8 oz caramel 40L.
6 lb Wheat LME and 3.15 lb Dark LME
Plan on using wyeast 3068 desiring more banana character than clove so probably mid to upper 60s ferm temp

How many ounces of Victory should I steep and for how long. LHBS suggested steeping the victory instead of a partial mash. I have other adjuncts that will be going in this beer so I'll plug it all in later this evening and see how it will play out.

However, with the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I thought I would go ahead and ask your opinions.

Also - may be better for a separate post, but does anyone have experience with adding lactose to a dunkelweizen? or does that sound loony?

Thanks in advance and happy brewing!

you could steep a pound, I would start with that, 1/2 pound if it smells or tastes very strong

victory is not that potent of a flavor so what I said before, steeping not mashing

I just did a Blonde extract batch with a mini-mash style grain addition (not fundamentally different from a steep). I used .5 lb Vienna, .5 lb wheat, .25 lb Munich. .25 lb Victory. The wort was very malty with toasty, nutty flavor. I find Victory to be a great addition and find that around a quarter pound is a good addition for most beers I make. For something darker, I could see easily going a half lb.

Back