adding different kinds of hops

regs

Trial Member
Reaction score
Aloha,
Just joined this site and had a question. I have a extract recipe for an IPA that calls for 2oz of cascade at 60, 1 oz at 30 and 1oz at 5. I've also just been given about 8oz. of simcoe that I would like to work into this recipe. I was thinking of staying with the cascade as described and then doing 2oz. simcoe at post flameout and then dry hop with 3oz. I love hoppy beers. Any thoughts on the above plan would be appreciated.
thanks
Regs

Sounds like a plan. Alternately,you could reverse the order, adjusting for the higher bitterness of
Simcoe, depending which you prefer at the end. That's what's great about brewing-you can be your
own man.

^^^What he said...
Simcoe early in the boil is a beautiful thing. Cascade is a great bittering hop, but at least a small amount of Simcoe at 60 and then again at 20 can give a deep, rich, smooth danky bitter that lends a lot of complexity.
Simcoe at the end and in the dryhop will give some big tropical fruit flavors that will blend beautifully with the Cascade. I've done a Simcoe, Citra, Cascade Pale/IPA a few times that's really nice.
Don't let the bitter get away from you. And don't bury the Cascade too much...that big grapefruit citrus profile in the flavor additions will hold the tropical elements in check and not leave it seeming too fruity for its own good.

no reason to not do what your talking about but its a waste of cascade at 60 so any strong bittering hop to replace that will work then focus the cascade near the end somewhere along with the Simcoe

Many thanks all, appreciate your feedback.Here's what I ended up doing:
Simcoe 2 oz at 60
Simcoe 2 oz at 20
Cascade 1 oz at 10
Cascade 1 oz at 5
Simcoe 1 oz. at post flameout
Plan to drop hop Cascade 2 oz

Will let you know how it turn outs

I don't know how big a batch you're doing, but that adds up to around 100 IBUs for a 10 gallon batch.
Even for a hard core hop-head, that's a lot of juice. ;)

all your doing is adding bitterness I would do 1 ounce at 60 or even 1/2 then nothing at 20 just focus from 10 down to flame out and dry hopping,

Fairly new at this. A bit too late at this point. I can only not do the 2 oz. dry hopping....and yes it is a monster of hops and bitterness right now.....will probably hold off on the 2 oz of cascade at this point. Batch is 5 gallons. :(

regs said:
Fairly new at this. A bit too late at this point. I can only not do the 2 oz. dry hopping....and yes it is a monster of hops and bitterness right now.....will probably hold off on the 2 oz of cascade at this point. Batch is 5 gallons. :(

Yeeeeeouch! If you did nothing but 2 oz of Simcoe at 60 in 5 gallon batch, you're gonna have to grow an extra pair to drink it. Go ahead and dry hop it...you're not going to add any bitterness and it might give your nose something to do while your throat is constricting. :lol:
It'll be an adventure, but who knows, maybe it'll be an awesome beer for you. :)

J A said:
regs said:

Yeeeeeouch! If you did nothing but 2 oz of Simcoe at 60 in 5 gallon batch, you're gonna have to grow an extra pair to drink it. Go ahead and dry hop it...you're not going to add any bitterness and it might give your nose something to do while your throat is constricting. :lol:
It'll be an adventure, but who knows, maybe it'll be an awesome beer for you. :)

If you like hops don't let these guys scare you away from adding more. There are several beers with 100+ on the market and they sell. The Pliney's are dry hopped with pounds of hops. A couple of extra ounces dry hop will add more hop flavor and aroma but not much bitterness.

Definitely add as much dry hop as you can. It's not going to do anything but make it better. As for the IBUs, I count nearly 200 in a 5.5 gallon batch in a full-boil all grain recipe with those additions. That'll definitely separate the men from the boys. :D
I will say that if there's a hop that will let you pile on huge IBUs, it'll be Simcoe IMO. Simcoe has a really smooth bitterness that I really like. I tend to push the IBUs further in recipes with Simcoe than anything else. Works really nicely. :)

Back