Acidulated malt from inventory not lowering mash pH estimate

jdotk

Trial Member
Reaction score
Small problem since the inventory moved into the drop down list.

If I select acidulated malt from my inventory in the drop down list, it doesn't change the mash pH estimate, but if I select the generic "german - acidulated malt" it does.

These should be the same malt since the one in my inventory is the generic "german - acidulated malt".

Yea, I noticed this too...For the last few recipes, I hadn't realized and added more stuff to bring the PH down. Maybe that's why my beers have been a little tart lately. :rolleyes:
Just another quirk to have to work around now.

FYI, still happening. Acidulated Malt selected from Inventory does not lower pH, same malt selected from list, lowers.

FYI, still happening. Acidulated Malt selected from Inventory does not lower pH, same malt selected from list, lowers.

When you are in the water calcalulator, does it show up as "acid malt"? Or is it changing? Can I see a screenshot of your inventory so I can figure out what's going on?

Ha ... when I previously added to my inventory by simply selecting "Weyermann" and "Acidulated," it did not add to my inventory as an acidulated grain. So when I made a recipe, I lost the pH adjustment and had to just select the "Weyermann Acidulated" from the main list to get the pH adjustment.

As you suggested, by verifying the water adjustment I had created, the main list grain option listed the grain as Acidulated, whereas my inventory addition listed it simply as grain. I have captured images as requested and can email them.

During this process of capturing the images, verified how the inventory is added and then, tried to edit my inventory item. It appears that unless you select "add custom" to verify that "acidulated" is highlighted, when you do a simple inventory addition the acidulated part is not saved automatically.

Works now, though it does mean that Acidulated malts need to be added as custom even if in the list (at least the Weyerman), please email me if you want the screen caps.

I need either the screenshot of the acid malt you have in inventory, or the complete name. The acid malts I show include Weyermann, and it is correct:
upload_2019-8-19_13-57-37.png

Here are the screenshots, inventory/recipe/water as it was after simply adding "Weyermann" and "Acidulated" through the inventory addition tool. Notice the pH:
Inventory Original.png
Recipe FROM inventory.png
Water FROM inventory.png

Same while using Weyermann in the grain bill NOT from my inventory but from the main list, recipe/water. again, notice the pH:
Recipe not from inventoy.png
Water not from inventory.png

Went back and added the acidulated Weyermann to my inventory by opening the "custom" window but not truly creating a new custom Weyermann, just allowing the acidulated detail to "load" I guess. Somehow this adds the acidulated malt correctly to my inventory with the "acidulated" flag. I can now use it in inventory and get the right pH. However, if you just try to add Weyermann and Acidulated, still does not work.

I'm hoping to have my question answered by piggy backing on this seemingly similar topic

I have been using acid malt to lower the pH in my mash for 5 years and just know to use either 3, 4 or 5 ounces of acid malt based on my grist and salt (target ion) additions. My pH is almost always between 5.2-5.6 because I measure using a pH meter. The mash pH is almost always lower than what is calculated.

Is there a way to change what the mash pH states like you can with OG and ABV?

Last edited:
I'm hoping to have my question answered by piggy backing on this seemingly similar topic

I have been using acid malt to lower the pH in my mash for 5 years and just know to use either 3, 4 or 5 ounces of acid malt based on my grist and salt (target ion) additions. My pH is almost always between 5.2-5.6 because I measure using a pH meter. The mash pH is almost always lower than what is calculated.

Is there a way to change what the mash pH states like you can with OG and ABV?

If the mash pH projection is always high, it could be related to several things, like the DI mash pH of the malt not being accurate for the brand you are using. For example, with US two-row, Rahr has a DI mash PH of 5.5, while other manufacturers like Briess have base malt that has a much higher DI mash pH. I’d check that first, to make sure the data is correct. Also, when you use the water calc, it’s most accurate to choose the calculation of “grain bill” and not wort color (that’s found by the ingredients part of the calculator). And of course, ensure that the HCO3/Carbonate in the source water is accurate. Perhaps the alkalinity of the water source has changed, so that’s the most important thing to look into.

Back