A crazy pepper beer idea!

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My wife and I take our kids to a great restaurant in town called Zig-Zag. Their food is really good and their appetizer menu is out of this world. One of my favorite apps is their Grilled Shoshito Peppers. While recently having lunch with the family, I came up with a concept for a Grilled Shoshito Pepper Beer.

I would like everyones opinion and suggestions on this. As I have spoken with the owner of the restaurant about this weird idea. And he was very interested in the idea when I brought it up to him.

I am thinking a lighter ale as the base with a quantity of peppers. Please feel free to share any ideas. Thanks in advance all.

I have heard of spicy beers, usually stouts, like a Mexican Habanero Stout maybe?
A local craft brewer did one here a few years ago, I recall having a sample of it, but it didn't grab me.

My wife and I take our kids to a great restaurant in town called Zig-Zag. Their food is really good and their appetizer menu is out of this world. One of my favorite apps is their Grilled Shoshito Peppers. While recently having lunch with the family, I came up with a concept for a Grilled Shoshito Pepper Beer.

I would like everyones opinion and suggestions on this. As I have spoken with the owner of the restaurant about this weird idea. And he was very interested in the idea when I brought it up to him.

I am thinking a lighter ale as the base with a quantity of peppers. Please feel free to share any ideas. Thanks in advance all.
I made a stout with chipotIe Peppers in it. however much Peppers you think is Right, cut it in half, hol

Several places down here have done the Mexican Stouts. You don't want to go over the top with the peppers, otherwise you won't be able to choke down a whole beer. Pepper in liquid has a much bigger effect than in food. Even your spice beers are measured with a teaspoon for 5 gallons.
I think most of the pros do the pepper in a secondary or Brite Tank.

I've had "pepper" beers. The best one had the pepper flavor, but no heat.

The worst one I had was hot (medium salsa hot) and was very unpleasant, I had one drink and dumped the beer. I didn't throw the rest away, I saved the rest of the six pack and used it for brats. I added it to sauerkraut in a pan, along with the brats and boil them on the grill. I then grilled the brats. It was really good. The heat from the beer infused into the sauerkraut and a little into the brat. Very good. I can't find that beer any more, bummer.

I used 1 fresh chili pepper in 9 litre ginger brew. It has a bite but I don't know if that's the chili or the ginger.
It will need someone with more sensitive taste buds :)

Soshitos are just a notch above green bell peppers for spiciness. The grilling probably brings out more pepper flavor and some smoke or char.

I've had habanero pepper beers, usually with pineapple or similar, and I do like all kinds of peppers. I'm not sure roasted pepper beer sounds so delicious, although I'd probably try a pint.

I like some spice and while feeling adventurous many many years ago, I brewed bottled 2 chili beers. The first was great, the second not so...
All I did was add a chili (long, thin, asian, ...?) to each bottle, cap, mature and drink. Not really brewing per se, but if you get the right beer (think I had something like an english pale ale or so) and some consistently spicy chilis, it can turn out pretty well. The second brew I did suffered from inconsistently spicy chilis though and I haven't tried again since...

A few years ago, I sampled a brew that had been aged in a used Tabasco Barrel. Wow, but not in approval! I don't remember the base beer, but I do remember my mouth being in a three-alarm fire! Be careful.

Last edited:
Habanero Sculpin by Ballast Point is a great example of a strong IPA with peppers. A good amount of heat, not just flavour. I drank one in 2015, it was excellent. So don't limit yourself to stouts. I have never brewed with peppers, but I have used various spices and herbs - mostly added near the end of the boil (10 minutes or less).

Habanero Sculpin by Ballast Point is a great example of a strong IPA with peppers. A good amount of heat, not just flavour. I drank one in 2015, it was excellent. So don't limit yourself to stouts. I have never brewed with peppers, but I have used various spices and herbs - mostly added near the end of the boil (10 minutes or less).
That is a great beer. I have shared one with my brother in law more recently than 2015. Half a bottle was plenty between the two of us.

Jekyll brewing in Atlanta makes a nice habanero pineapple IPA, just a little lingering heat with nice pineapple notes.

Assuming this is up by Mt Hood? What is the restaurant I might stop by and try it :)

Nothing crazy about that idea. I regularly brew a Vienna/Tettnang SMaSH with various peppers. (10 batches I think so far)

I'll be brewing up another batch in April to be ready for Cinco de Mayo. So far I've used a combo of fresh roasted Poblano, Jalapeño, along with Ancho & Chipotle. (dried/smoked versions of those two fresh peppers respectively) If I can manage to get my Shoshito seeds to sprout this year, I'll do another batch in the fall with them.

Note, I'm a bit unconventional in my dosing approach. I concocted the recipe on a whim when I couldn't find much info on how or where to use peppers in beer. So I treated it like a Chili recipe I make. I simply roast the fresh peppers, then skin and de-seed, de-seed the Ancho & Chipotle, and rough chop everything. (rehydrating where necessary, some Chipotle can be purchased in a can/jar - if rehydrating, the juice goes in the boil—don't waste that flavor!) I put the pepper pulp in the boil like a hop addition for a full 90 minutes. The result is a mild/medium heat in the back of the throat, but no spiciness on the tongue, just smokey flavor.

As for ratio, I use 2 average sized peppers each (8 total) for a 2.5gal batch. I have measured them, but practically, the variation in weight from pepper to pepper isn't enough to worry about.

I would guess like with cooking, you can adjust your heat with seed inclusion, but I haven't tried this myself as the original batch was spot on for my target.

Warning, Chipotle can be made with green or red (fully ripe) versions of the pepper. The red ones are fire!

If my pepper crop turns out well this year, I'll start using all of my own.

I say go for it! I've brewed a few pepper beers and here's my opinion. I've found that the hotter peppers work best, habanero and chipotle. I've used jalapeno and it gave the beer a vegetal taste that I didn't find enjoyable. I've added the peppers to the boil and found that it didn't introduce much flavor. I create tinctures of vodka with the peppers cut up and soaking in it, seeds and all. I let it soak for a few days and then dump it (strained of course) in the fermenter when fermentation is almost complete. I've found this is the best way to get the flavor and heat. Good luck!

Back