3/4 of a Beer

Semper Sitientem

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This may be somewhat of a noobish question but, is there an issue with bottling 3/4 of a beer? Just bottled my Redx SMaSH this morning and had this left over. Seems like a waste to throw out, but I don’t want a bottle bomb either.
DFDDC098-08EA-4991-960B-46D033E99C27.jpeg

The one issued that you may face is that the extra air will lead to that bottle being oxidized. I'm not sure if the extra air will lead to highly active yeast and thus the possibility of a bottle bomb. Either way, just be sure and drink that one first.

This may be somewhat of a noobish question but, is there an issue with bottling 3/4 of a beer? Just bottled my Redx SMaSH this morning and had this left over. Seems like a waste to throw out, but I don’t want a bottle bomb either.
View attachment 13056
My experience doing this a few times is it's a waste of time. The beer will oxidize and overcarbonate. Pour it down the drain, shed a tear, clean the bottle and move on to the next homebrew task.

Assuming you added your priming sugar to the entire batch in a bottling bucket, I think you should be ok. If you added x amount of sugar (in the form of carbonation tablets) to each bottle, well then you might overcarb the 3/4 bottle.

will agree on drinking that bottle first, because of O2, but otherwise, you're fine
I am not great at pressure calculations, but I am fairly sure 3/4 volume of beer will not produce any more pressure than 1 volume. I have underfilled many bottles, drank them first, and never noticed any significant difference.

When I was bottling, I'd always use the last partial bottle, assuming it was at least half full, as a carb check after a week or two. It would give me an idea about how the rest of the batch was doing without risking opening a full bottle too early. :)

When I was bottling, I'd always use the last partial bottle, assuming it was at least half full, as a carb check after a week or two. It would give me an idea about how the rest of the batch was doing without risking opening a full bottle too early. :)
I keep one of those like 5oz or whatever mini-water bottles for that at the end but that won't hold 3/4 of a bottle

I have capped a few 3/4 bottles, and always consumed those bottles first. There have been none that I rejected. Generally, I have opened those bottles after a week or less, to check how carbonation is going. The beer is always primed in the bottling bucket using a boiled solution of table sugar. Never to this day have I had a bottle bomb (knock on wood), and I usually carb to about 2.5 volumes using the BF priming calculator.

Back