2nd batch, want to try an additive, not sure what or how to do this for a Nut Brown Ale

OttawaBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A group of guys from work and I have gotten together to make beer, we think its pretty neat and fun. We are starting off with our first two batches being made from extract. Our first batch is almost ready to bottle (Bock). We are pondering our next batch we are making 2, 5 Gallon batches of Muntons Nut Brown Ale. We want to leave one stock as per recipe and add one additive or flavour change to the second batch. This way we will also be able to directly compare an additive, and it provides some variety. I would really welcome some suggestions on what additives would go well in a nut brown ale, and how to add them and how much. Thanks for anyone who can provide info and guidance.

I wouldn't do anything to a brown ale...maybe try a wheat and add raspberries or something. It might be better to get a few more batches under your belt (and actually try them to see how they turn out) before starting to experiment. ;)

You could steep a bit of smoked malt for a smoked brown ale. Brown ales don't seem to have a lot of additions usually because its hard to think of something that would go well but not over power the beer. You could add coffee but I think it would overpower the beer and just taste like coffee. If you can find a good hazelnut flavoring you could try that.

I have a brown ale with maple syrup. You can use a pound or so in a 5 gal batch. Substitute for a portion of the extract

Back