2 hour+ mash

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by skyblue67, Feb 27, 2018.

1. skyblue67

skyblue67 New Member

Trying to fit brewdays around some part time work. Is there any issue with mashing for 2-2.5 hours? I usually mash for 90 mins (BIAB) so I presume it shouldn't be a problem but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Can you hold your mash temp steady? I’m assuming it will be unattended.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member

Some folks mash overnight

fastengine likes this.
  4. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I've left my mash tun for several hours before without issue, you do bleed heat so be aware of that but you can gain a few % in efficiency. Not worth it if you're bored waiting for that time staring at it, but if you have something else to do you could mash in the morning and boil after work for example. If you can maintain heat levels.

Trialben likes this.
  5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

No issue I'm aware of. Most of the conversion takes place in the first 30 minutes but letting the mash sit for 2 hours shouldn't hurt a thing. Some of the bacteria present in the grist will grow a bit but the worst that can happen there is a slight increase in your mash's acidity, not even noticeable and a protection against tannin extraction.

Mase likes this.
  6. skyblue67

skyblue67 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. The pan is pretty well insulated so I don't lose much heat. Looks like I'm brewing on Friday :D

7. okoncentrerad

okoncentrerad Active Member

I don't know about your pan, but I lost more heat than I was aware of. I used to think I could keep my mash temp pretty steady for an hour since I had insulated it twice with camping mattress kind of thing. On my first brews I checked the temp with standard alcohol thermometer and thought everything looked pretty good, but recently I bought a quick read thermopen and it made clear that the mash temp wasn't as steady as I thought. If I start at 67 degrees Celsius it will in an hour have dropped to about 64 degrees or even less . I think that for some of my brews can explain why they got too dry and thin?

8. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    i mashed a pilsner brew 2 brews sessions ago for 5 hours it dropped way.down from my intended mash temp. i went 63 for 45 min then rampped it up to 70 c whe .i came back 5 hours later it was sitting at 59c no biggie as noseybear said most of the conversion was done in the first 30 min.

9. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

The only problem with long mashes is if you use a bunch or wheat or rye malt(s) and/or flaked adjuncts. Over an extended period of time the mash can turn into a glob with the consistency of day old oatmeal. Ask me how I know that:) My only totally stuck mash.

J A and Trialben like this.