2 hour+ mash

skyblue67

Premium Member
Reaction score
Trying to fit brewdays around some part time work. Is there any issue with mashing for 2-2.5 hours? I usually mash for 90 mins (BIAB) so I presume it shouldn't be a problem but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Can you hold your mash temp steady? I’m assuming it will be unattended.

I've left my mash tun for several hours before without issue, you do bleed heat so be aware of that but you can gain a few % in efficiency. Not worth it if you're bored waiting for that time staring at it, but if you have something else to do you could mash in the morning and boil after work for example. If you can maintain heat levels.

Trying to fit brewdays around some part time work. Is there any issue with mashing for 2-2.5 hours? I usually mash for 90 mins (BIAB) so I presume it shouldn't be a problem but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.
No issue I'm aware of. Most of the conversion takes place in the first 30 minutes but letting the mash sit for 2 hours shouldn't hurt a thing. Some of the bacteria present in the grist will grow a bit but the worst that can happen there is a slight increase in your mash's acidity, not even noticeable and a protection against tannin extraction.

Thanks for all the replies. The pan is pretty well insulated so I don't lose much heat. Looks like I'm brewing on Friday :D

Thanks for all the replies. The pan is pretty well insulated so I don't lose much heat. Looks like I'm brewing on Friday :D
I don't know about your pan, but I lost more heat than I was aware of. I used to think I could keep my mash temp pretty steady for an hour since I had insulated it twice with camping mattress kind of thing. On my first brews I checked the temp with standard alcohol thermometer and thought everything looked pretty good, but recently I bought a quick read thermopen and it made clear that the mash temp wasn't as steady as I thought. If I start at 67 degrees Celsius it will in an hour have dropped to about 64 degrees or even less . I think that for some of my brews can explain why they got too dry and thin?

i mashed a pilsner brew 2 brews sessions ago for 5 hours it dropped way.down from my intended mash temp. i went 63 for 45 min then rampped it up to 70 c whe .i came back 5 hours later it was sitting at 59c no biggie as noseybear said most of the conversion was done in the first 30 min.

The only problem with long mashes is if you use a bunch or wheat or rye malt(s) and/or flaked adjuncts. Over an extended period of time the mash can turn into a glob with the consistency of day old oatmeal. Ask me how I know that:) My only totally stuck mash.

Back