10 Min boil?

I like me a fat yak there huddo I'll flick up my close recipe resemblance if ya want?

Ok I don't have it saved on here ATM
2000g Joe white Traditional Ale.
2000g Joe white Vienna.
500g Joe white Caramalt
.250 Briess best extra 120l
.250 Briess carapils

Mash 65-66c mid range mash 60 min then mash out 74c ten minutes.

Then do your hopping as per your recipie with nelson sauvin and cascade;).

BOYS,

Happy with the end result and it hasn't matured for long.
Lager
OG 1.042
FG 1.014

Fermentation was 3 weeks at 12ºc
Secondary fermentation in the pantry for a week (with carbonation drops)
Stored at 1ºc for 1 week (so far). Tried a bottle last night and it was very nice and crisp. Touch cloudy towards the end of the bottle.

I am going to repeat the recipe but this time I am going to hydrate the yeast 24 hours earlier.

Thought I would give you a picture to the original post, thanks everyone for the advice so far!

Should have taken a photo after i just poured the glass ..

Attachments

• Lager.jpg
    Lager.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 109
Loads of replies already:cool:
I have done thirty ,fourty,fourty five and sixty minute boils with extracts.Really don't think it makes a great deal of difference to be honest.
With a 30 or 40 minute boil you have time to add further hops at various stages if wished.Adding hops at flame out or close to it will add flavour and adding at 80c and standing for 15/20 minutes and then re cooling will add aroma.
Won't be long before you are onto steeping grains and adding to the mix:),then onto AG:D

The only other thing you get from a longer boil will be mailard reactions in the wort therefore darkening it a little and adding caramelisation to it. Can be yummie in a nice Amber beer. Also A longer boil would result in better protine coagulation and hopefully a clearer beer. I boil for 90 for these reasons and because it's what I've dialled in my equipment with.
I'm not sure if this applies to extract. Remember extract can be pre hopped/bittered so probably doing a 60 minute boil may be detrimental to the beer as it may add a harsh bitterness through further boiling of them initial Bittering hopso_O. I'd keep extract personally to flavour and aroma hop additions 30 mins and under if they have been pre hopped of course. Cheers ;)

The only other thing you get from a longer boil will be mailard reactions in the wort therefore darkening it a little and adding caramelisation to it. Can be yummie in a nice Amber beer. Also A longer boil would result in better protine coagulation and hopefully a clearer beer. I boil for 90 for these reasons and because it's what I've dialled in my equipment with.
I'm not sure if this applies to extract. Remember extract can be pre hopped/bittered so probably doing a 60 minute boil may be detrimental to the beer as it may add a harsh bitterness through further boiling of them initial Bittering hopso_O. I'd keep extract personally to flavour and aroma hop additions 30 mins and under if they have been pre hopped of course. Cheers ;)
Although i personaly do mostly biab now,i do still do extract as well.
Never used pre hopped extract!.Does it say what hops are used or is it pot luck?

Although i personaly do mostly biab now,i do still do extract as well.
Never used pre hopped extract!.Does it say what hops are used or is it pot luck?
Not sure it's been some time since I've brewed with extract. But I know you can get some malt cans that are bittered and some without.

Some of the Pre hopped extract ( kit cans ) are known quantities , i know most of the Coopers / Mr Beer range .
Which cans are you talking about ? Very seldom good advice to boil ANY pre hopped kits unless you are sure how to calculate the change in IBU and colour

Back