0 minute hop addition question

I've been wondering this too.
Since I got the hop spider I remove them. Before that I had no choice but to leave them.
I use pellets
Hm, I've been leaving them while cooling, and I guess they contribute to "some" aroma and AA?

I use a bag , kind off similar to a spider. I leave in until cool. Lift up and let drain for a few minutes.

I use a counterflow chiller. I just set it up to return to the kettle until I hit 80C. Then turn off the chiller, reroute it to the fermenter and wait 10 - 20 minutes for the hops, then push it through the chiller into the fermenter.
Pretty much what I do

I'm going to hijack this thread, and ask a similar question;

-If you're using the hop spider, do you remove it (hops included) at 0 before the cooling, or do you leave it in (regardless if you have any hops additions)
I think that your question is relevant to this thread, and good for discussion!
I add my hops loose so my boil hops are all in there during my hop stand / whirlpool process. I would leave them in the spider personally. You could try the exact same brew twice once with leaving the spider in, and once without, see if there is a difference.
Only question I have is if you are removing the spider, are you putting your whirlpool hops in loose?

I think that your question is relevant to this thread, and good for discussion!
I add my hops loose so my boil hops are all in there during my hop stand / whirlpool process. I would leave them in the spider personally. You could try the exact same brew twice once with leaving the spider in, and once without, see if there is a difference.
Only question I have is if you are removing the spider, are you putting your whirlpool hops in loose?
I have yet to try whirlpooling, so far all i've done was 0 minute additions and dry hopping.

I have yet to try whirlpooling, so far all i've done was 0 minute additions and dry hopping.
Whirlpool and hopstand are kind of the same thing, just semantics really. If you are adding hops at flameout, and letting the wort sit for a period of time, I guess you would call it a hopstand. If you are stirring, call it a whirlpool. The questions really are for how long, and at what temperature.

My brews are too irregular (not consistent enough) to do this comparison, but if someone can, I would love to know.
I started taking them out so I could whirlpool.
But since I transfer everything to my fermenter anyway, maybe thats not a good reason.
Other reason was that everything is still properly sanitised just before cooling, so I can be a bit less carefull (or more clumsy, take your pick)

Honestly, this is what I like of brewing: so many options, so much to learn and what a great forum we have with all kind of kind brewers at different levels with different equipment :D

Back