0 minute hop addition question

Brew Captain

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see many recipes that add hops at 0 minutes. How is this done? Are the added after flame off and then let steep? If so haw long? Or are they basically a dry hop that you add in the fermenter at the start of fermenting?

Add when you turn off the heat for the boil. Then chill.

Add when you turn off the heat for the boil. Then chill.
Soooo. Add when flame out then chill? I use a counter flow chiller with a pump so kettle to fermenter is basically 3-4 minutes tops. Is this enough to be effective?

You won’t get as much bitterness from it as me, and probably most of us on here in that amount of time. If you want to whirlpool a bit (10-15 minutes) then you may want. I bet most recipes assume an ice bath or immersion chiller. Then play with it from there.

Welcome to the forum!

You won’t get as much bitterness from it as me, and probably most of us on here in that amount of time. If you want to whirlpool a bit (10-15 minutes) then you may want. I bet most recipes assume an ice bath or immersion chiller. Then play with it from there.

Welcome to the forum!
Great advice. Yep, sorta new to Brewers Friend but love it. Thanks for the help. I’ll try whirlpooling.

Welcome to the forum!
This! Let sit for 5-10 minutes before\during chill.

I let a one minute addition hold for about ten minutes at 170F . Stopped the cold water to the imersion cooler and used enough heat to hold it there.
Would that be considered a " whirlpool" hop addition?

I start cooling straight after hop addition.
But I don't cool very fast (not by choice).
Maybe I should consider this a hop stand?

I agree, I wouldn't attempt at making an opinion but no chill brewing means My 0 minute addition is recorded as a 30 min hopstand addition the time I believe it takes for my brewing wort to go from 100c (boiling) to below 80c (end of isomerisation temperature).

This should guage how you determine your 0 min addition and how much potential bitterness units this "might" add to your boil..

All up ideally post boil bittering additions are a total crap shoot :).

So apart from IBU contributionions I don't think a 5 min 0 minute addition would add much in the way of aroma and flavour.

As per the above suggestions if your hoping to get aroma and flavor out of them 0 minute additions a good 15 minute whirlpool or agitation of the kettle post boil will give you more.

As all have noted, 5-10 minutes in hot wort after flameout is fine. I often let everything cool naturally as I set up the chiller, a couple minutes, and by the time it goes into the fermenter it is ling enough. So yes, they are kind if just steeped a bit.

Keep in mind that post boil hop additions will give you different results based on the stand time and temperature that you're steeping them at.
I feel that about 20 minutes is the sweet spot for maximum extraction.
Many of my beers have post boil hop stands and some have multiple at different temperatures.
The most interesting for me is Mosaic at 160° - 180°.
Cheers,
Brian

Keep in mind that post boil hop additions will give you different results based on the stand time and temperature that you're steeping them at.
Many of my beers have post boil hop stands and some have multiple at different temperatures.
Cheers,
Brian
Great advice. I’ll try this. I have an emersion chiller so just may use this for those 0 minutes hops brews.

Cheers,
Brian
Do you calculate for/adjust for bittering contributions from the 20 minute stands? Like @Trialben mentioned, I find designing recipes to account for the bitterness of late hop additions to be a real crap shoot. I definitely get some bitterness and I’m starting to dial in a bit, but results can be all over the lot.
IBU’s are a complete wonder to me.

Do you calculate for/adjust for bittering contributions from the 20 minute stands? Like @Trialben mentioned, I find designing recipes to account for the bitterness of late hop additions to be a real crap shoot. I definitely get some bitterness and I’m starting to dial in a bit, but results can be all over the lot.
My understanding of it, 10-15 minutes, at 180F, doesn't allow enough time to isomerize the oils, so it is just for aroma and flavor

My understanding of it, 10-15 minutes, at 180F, doesn't allow enough time to isomerize the oils, so it is just for aroma and flavor
Some bittering is occurring with isomorised Alpha Acids that have been absorbed into solution.

I thought of that recent bru lab podcast on using spent dry hops for bittering additions.
If 2/3rds of the Alpha acids are still left in the dry hop then some Alpha acids are being isomorised.
That would be 1/3.
Other compounds like geraniol and Myrcene the spicey herbal compounds remain as well.

Last edited:
It truly is recipe dependant.
Higher temperature more bitterness, lower temperature more flavor and aroma. To a point, the longer the hopstand/whirlpool the greater the effect of either. Comes down to, what are you going for...

I'll have to check some of my recipes, but I believe for the 180-200 range I calculate 4% and that seems right to me.
Below that is basically 0

Great advice. I’ll try this. I have an emersion chiller so just may use this for those 0 minutes hops brews.
I use a counterflow chiller. I just set it up to return to the kettle until I hit 80C. Then turn off the chiller, reroute it to the fermenter and wait 10 - 20 minutes for the hops, then push it through the chiller into the fermenter.

I'm going to hijack this thread, and ask a similar question;

-If you're using the hop spider, do you remove it (hops included) at 0 before the cooling, or do you leave it in (regardless if you have any hops additions)

I've been wondering this too.
Since I got the hop spider I remove them. Before that I had no choice but to leave them.
I use pellets

Back