Show us your boil

IMG_20190726_103545706_HDR.jpg

Gotta catch up so rasberry porter on the boil. Neighbors scored me 4#s of em so just couldn't help myself. Will rack right onto brown ipa s05 cake. Probably better use a blow off tube.:rolleyes: Will ad fruit after a few days of fermenting.

wee question. did my first brew on the gas hob today. added DME before it reached boil (boil wasn't the best but definitely rolling when it got going) and didn't get any hot break. had the water spray and paddle on standby. do i need to worry about that? was worrying a lot about boil overs but when i didn't see anything i was kinda disappointed lol

My wife would suggest placing a wooden spoon across the top to keep it from boiling. It works with her kitchen cooking, not sure I’d try it with 6 gallons of boiling sugar water though.
Given there's no physical way it could work, I don't think I'd try it either. Control the flame, stir, or spray with a water sprayer. Or better, get a big enough kettle to contain the hot break.

Given there's no physical way it could work, I don't think I'd try it either. Control the flame, stir, or spray with a water sprayer. Or better, get a big enough kettle to contain the hot break.
She swears by it. Whenever she’s got something boiling on the stove, rest assured, there’s a wooden spoon spanning the top of whatever pot she’s cooking with. I refuse to believe the “Magic” behind it, but she has showed me what happens when you remove the spoon....

Interesting read: https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/...n-spoon-stop-pasta-from-boiling-over-0151541/

Ps. I’ll never try it with home brew.... just sayin...

She swears by it. Whenever she’s got something boiling on the stove, rest assured, there’s a wooden spoon spanning the top of whatever pot she’s cooking with. I refuse to believe the “Magic” behind it, but she has showed me what happens when you remove the spoon....

Interesting read: https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/...n-spoon-stop-pasta-from-boiling-over-0151541/

Ps. I’ll never try it with home brew.... just sayin...
Generally, I'd guess, she's not boiling a colloid of water, sugars, dextrines, proteins.... I'm familiar with the spoon across the pot - it was an old wives' tale where I grew up. Pasta, well, I'll need to read your link to see if there's science behind it. And it does! Real physics! But it won't work with wort because our bubbles are much more stable, being made mostly from denatured protein, think meringue.

10 gallons of a NEIPA
First the hot break
IMG_20190824_1054335.jpg

And the boil
IMG_20190824_1110423.jpg

The little jug on the floor to the left is all the foam I skimmed as it was approaching boil

Back