Tilt and other electronic hydrometers are supported!

Hi,

I have the Plaato device on order. Are there plans to integrate this into Brewers Friend as well? What is required from the Plaato side of things for this to happen

thought it was about time I made my first post!

Hey, thx for your support, but I have no idea how to actually use the linked repo.
Guess I got to wait for the official release then.

Cheers!

Hi,

I have the Plaato device on order. Are there plans to integrate this into Brewers Friend as well? What is required from the Plaato side of things for this to happen

thought it was about time I made my first post!

Hi, there are plans, however, they depend on when the Plaato API is released. I have contacted them about this and hopefully it will happen sooner than later :)

+1
Tried to setup the ispindel without success. What do I have to enter in the ispindel config? I have the latest firmware running.
Thanks!
I've implemented brewersfriend native support into iSpindel original firmware with some other improvements as 3 degree formula support, I will post it here soon. Stay tuned.

I've uploaded two releases 5.9.3 and 6.0.3 in my repo, you may find it here

Users who use zero point calibration should use 5.x release. Also they should use appropriate version for their board type (classic or pro). More info in release notes.

https://github.com/Misenkooo/iSpindel/releases

Let me know in case there are any issues.

good stuff.
I just flashed the firmware and setup the spindel.
Looks like it works.
Can't wait throw it in an actual brew on the weekend.

Cheers!

good stuff.
I just flashed the firmware and setup the spindel.
Looks like it works.
Can't wait throw it in an actual brew on the weekend.

Cheers!
Enjoy ;) I'm also impatient to throw it in for my first brew with brrwersfriend and iSpindel!

Hi,

I am the developer of BrewPiLess. I would like to support Brewersfriend and need some information.
1. Are all values in the JSON string type? Or, they can be numbers.
2. Is "null" accept when the value is absent? or null string("") has to be used?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am the developer of BrewPiLess. I would like to support Brewersfriend and need some information.
1. Are all values in the JSON string type? Or, they can be numbers.
2. Is "null" accept when the value is absent? or null string("") has to be used?

Thanks.

Hi Vito,

Yea a BrewPiLess integration would be awesome.

To answer your questions, they can/should be numbers for number types like temp, gravity and a null string("") should be used for empty values.

You can use the custom stream app endpoint or if you're just forwarding requests from Tilt or iSpindel you can use those endpoints:

For forwarding POST requests:

Tilt
https://log.brewersfriend.com/tilt/[API KEY]

Code:
Timepoint=43362.606502766204&Temp=43.0&SG=1.009&Beer=IPA%20Test&Color=RED&Comment=Again%20Test

iSpindel
Header: Content-Type: application/json

https://log.brewersfriend.com/ispindel/[API KEY] OR you can also put the API KEY in the token param and post to https://log.brewersfriend.com/ispindel

Code:
{
    "name": "",
    "ID": "",
    "token": "",
    "angle": "",
    "temperature": "",
    "temp_units": "C",
    "battery": "",
    "gravity": "",
    "interval": "",
    "RSSI": ""
}

Custom Stream App
Header: Content-Type: application/json

Posting as a stream app, https://log.brewersfriend.com/stream/[API KEY]
or you can put the API Key in the header instead -H "X-API-KEY: [API KEY]"

Code:
{
 "name": "BrewPiLess",
 "temp": 22.2,
 "temp_unit": "C",
 "gravity": 14.1,
 "gravity_unit": "P",
 "ph": 4.5,
 "comment": "",
 "beer": "",
 "battery": 3.588112,
 "RSSI": -57,
 "angle": ""
}

temp unit: C, F or K
gravity unit: G or P

After the first post you will see the name in available devices dropdown. Choose the device and toggle on the stream device.
Screenshot 2019-02-04 12.39.29.png

Last edited:
I've just flashed my iSpindel with the new firmware, and everything seems to be working. But the gravity values in the BrewDashboard look odd. I've just tried updating the polynomial to give plato values?
Is there a new calibration spreadsheet I should use? I can't measure plato (only SG).

I've gotta say though other than that, everything else has gone well!
Do you plan sending a pull-request to universam1?

I've just flashed my iSpindel with the new firmware, and everything seems to be working. But the gravity values in the BrewDashboard look odd. I've just tried updating the polynomial to give plato values?
Is there a new calibration spreadsheet I should use? I can't measure plato (only SG).

I've gotta say though other than that, everything else has gone well!
Do you plan sending a pull-request to universam1?

Just use this web application:

http://www.ispindel.de/tools/calibration/calibration.htm

Select gravity units "Plato" and then put your SG reading into "Reading" fields. It's automatically recalculate to Plato...

universam1... I've tried it but it was rejected because those guys are like small children... you can read more here. So I've implement it in my own branch and offered support to brewersfriend. I've fixed some bugs and added 3 degree formula which is more precise than 2 degree. For me version 5.x works great and I really don't need anything more. With version 6.x I had crazy battery consumtion, with 5.x my iSpindel works for months!

Thanks, well at least you tried... Since it's not an off the shelf license, makes it hard to compare to other projects...
I personally don't think the BF subscription goes against the ideals, as websites have ongoing costs...

Integration is a recent and very optional feature. I upgraded to premium so I could delete recipes :D, integration was a later, unexpected bonus! Thanking you very much.

Thanks, well at least you tried... Since it's not an off the shelf license, makes it hard to compare to other projects...
I personally don't think the BF subscription goes against the ideals, as websites have ongoing costs...

Integration is a recent and very optional feature. I upgraded to premium so I could delete recipes :D, integration was a later, unexpected bonus! Thanking you very much.
Exactly. I've argumented like this but without success. They have been saying it's against community and they wanted to get som money from BF to make an official support. I've told them, hey, you provide generic support so if BF modify its API very slightly then everyone can use it. Then I've said BF subscription price haven't changed a bit because of iSpindel integration, it's a bonus and is still very reasonable and fair for what this site offers. If they would increase or ask a special price for this support I would never make a support as well. Unfortunatelly, they refused it. It's pity because I've made other improvements but those were rejected as well because it was one package. So you guys have to stick with my build for now. Enjoy ;)

For me version 5.x works great and I really don't need anything more. With version 6.x I had crazy battery consumption, with 5.x my iSpindel works for months!

So my first brew with the new setup, looks like the battery died after about 10 days :( I'm pretty sure I used your 6.0.3; You say it's better sticking with 5.9.3?

I was logging 20mins, though I've changed to 60mins for my current brew - hoping that extends battery life a little (Though looks like it's actually logging every 57mins :/)

Cheers.

Hello,

I'm not getting any gravity readings using Ispindel in Brewer's Friend . The temperature and battery voltage are working fine. Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks

I figure out why my gravity was not showing in Brewer's Friend. My gravity conversion was entered wrong in Ispindel setup.

I suppose 10 years from now it will be so easy we won’t even give it a second thought, but with anything new (relatively), there bound to be finicky and they are that. I’ve always liked “techy” stuff, so I’m willing to be an early adopter.

Back