Bock beer brewing help

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to make a Bock beer without using ANY caramel or roasted malt. (Including dehusked carafa)
I plan on using Munich, pilsner and possibly some Vienna.
I also plan on doing a double decoction mash and a 90 minute boil.

Has anyone done something like this?

Sorry if this question seems dumb or simple but everything I've read mentions making a Bock with caramel or roasted malts.... I want to try and keep it as simple (in the grain bill) as possible.

so just use 3 equal parts of Vienna, light Munich and Pilsner, I just emptied the kegs on that one and its very good

Reactions: J A
Thank you! Just good to know someone else had done it. It was odd that I couldn't seem to find anyone publishing anything on with a recipe San caramel it roasted barely...

I don't have much experience with brewing bock beers, but I have definitely drunk enough of them here to at least claim/assume that many of the (more traditional) breweries don't use any caramel malts. Basically any sort of stronger bottom fermenting lager beer passes as a bock. ;)

That's exactly what a bock should be. No caramel, no roast, just a strong lager beer (it translates into English as buck). That's what bock pertains to, strength. A Hellesbock or Maibock uses only pilsner malt, doppelbock would use darker base malts. When lagers get strong like that, 7-9%, they can get sweet. It's tough enough to try to get them to dry out without adding caramel. Only enough roast to add color if you like, but no flavor.

A typical German beer, simple and delicious.

I have a nicely golden bock in the fermenter right now. I used Pilsner, Wheat, and both Type 1 and Type 2 Munich (5L, 10L).

My recipe came out to be
42% Pilsner,
42% Wheat,
8% Munich 5,
8% Munich 10

If you want a richer color, you can do decoction for deep malty/melanoidin flavor and/or a longer boil to get more maillard reactions for color and flavor.

If you want a richer color, you can do decoction for deep malty/melanoidin flavor and/or a longer boil to get more maillard reactions for color and flavor.
That's exactly what I plan on trying!

Reactions: J A
oops...I see that I missed that in your original post. :oops:
:)
Oh, no worries. That was my excited voice. I've done one decoction mash already and have loved the results thus far. I can't wait to do it again.

I have a couple Bock recipes in my head I've been thinking about lately and they only contain two malts, Pils and Red X. I really like the Red X, it gives the Melanoiden/caramel flavor without a decoction or Cara malts. I was thinking 10-30% Red X depending on the color i want.

Back