How Many beers do you typically drink before getting wobbly?

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
People have told me that my beers are stronger that store bought beer even at the same alcohol percentage, I personally like 5 to 5.5% beers myself and I can drink 4 full 12 ounce glasses in a 3 hour period before having to hold on to something to get to the bathroom, what is your tolerance with your home brew?

and tell us a story

I can drink an amazing amount of homebrew for my size, especially considering IPAs are my beers of choice. I have no stories, at least none for public awareness, but I can easily drink 3-4 beers in an hour or two. I weigh a tad less than 135 pounds.

so I brewed today and I can blame some of this from allergies, I'm allergic to hop dust and something in the boil, not sure what but I started drinking at 3:30pm and 6:30pm I'm wobbly, I weigh about 190 and that's without food

My beers tend to fall in the 4-5% range and I bottle in 500ml bottles and I can down at least 5 before I get too wobbly, but to be honest I rarely have more than three. I weigh about 240.

I don't really have any good getting tipsy on homebrew stories, all my good drinking stories are from my early 20s before I was homebrewing.

I'm a lightweight - three pints is my absolute limit. Then I go to sleep.

I can hold my own pretty well. During the week I usually try to keep it under or around 3 a night (or less or none), but I can easily do 4 and maintain. My kids sometimes make fun of me, but I think they have issues. o_O

I try and keep the beers in the session range around 5% not none of them sneeky high preventers where they catch up on you by surprise. Yeah I'd say I easy throw down 3-4 or so before the missus gives me that look.
stories mmmmm well maybe the neighbors know when I'm endulging by my higher than usually music:p everyone loves singing to their fave band or tune whilst drinking from the well eh:D.

But I have seen the effects of free tasty hombrew a christmass or two back when my Bro slightly over endulged in some schwarzy Brew I concocted lets just say he was dribbling a bit and was off his tits:p

The most I drank was around 28 beers with a friend during a day and we were dizzy, but not drunk. We ate, cooked food...

But I usually drink around 4-6 beers. Start with something light, continue with IPAs and finish off with some 9-12% Belgians or anything dark.

Three pints is a too much if I'm out...I usually try to get a flight if we're at a happy hour beer tasting. I'll have two at a pint night over a couple-three hours with dinner somewhere in the mix and that's okay...maybe three if my wife is driving. At home, I'll hit the tap a number of times, usually pouring 4-6 ounces. I had a total of 4 12-ouncers last night of varying ABV and that was plenty. I don't tend to get too slurry or stumbly, but I know when I'm muzzy headed. :)

People have told me that my beers are stronger that store bought beer even at the same alcohol percentage, I personally like 5 to 5.5% beers myself and I can drink 4 full 12 ounce glasses in a 3 hour period before having to hold on to something to get to the bathroom, what is your tolerance with your home brew?

and tell us a story
A couple of pints and I know I've had a drink.

I brew 6 +% beers for the most part. 4 or so tunes me up. I dont do that every day though. I love my home brew such a great hobby

Lately, I began brewing lower ABV beers, as I believe you don't need 7+% beers to feel good or enjoy any style of beers. So bitters, pale ales, IPAs, low ABV NEIPAs, red/ambers,black IPAs. belgians...anything can be brewed to fit under 5-6% and still result in delicious brews.

I can usually do 5-6 pints before I start slobbering all over myself! It's fun to watch my guests when they come over 2-3 and they're feeling good! Lol I keep most of my brews around 5-6% and I'm a pretty big guy 6'2" and 265 lb.

I brew my beer at around 4-5.5%. And like @Yooper I can hold my own, for a small guy, 135lb give or take and 4-5 pints and I'm getting to the "hang on to something to get steady point"

I can drink 4-6 and do OK. However, twice I brewed some Belgian Ales and after 2, they sent me to lala land. I have never experienced anything like that before. Needless to say, I don't brew Belgian Ales anymore.

Brain and stomach start to rebel at two pints. The only time I get really wobbly, as in which door of these two identical doors do I stagger through, is at winefests on the Mosel, when I can be there for them. But just before blackout, I can pontificate with magnificent eloquence in German....

We cut ourselves off at 200 gallon a year.. That's our legal limit:rolleyes: Any more than that and we wobble.
Story? Had a tasting with my nephew and his better half a couple of weeks ago. Started out with samples of 2 Sam Adams Utopia's (amazing but not really beer, its in another category totally amazing) Tasted Goose Island Burbon County Stout from 2013-2017 (we have a stash) then the Coffee Stout, the Northwoods and their Barleywine barrel aged. We wobbled all afternoon and evening but the grill was going the entire time putting out excellent food and nobody got hit by a dart. Good times. Actually after the Utopia's we had some of my homebrewed Barleywines and Belgians (for brunch) that are getting some age on them now. 1 was a dumper, oxygen problems but 2 were good and 3 were excellent and improving. This is turning into an annual thing. By the way the 2013 Barrel aged Stout has won every year hands down so far but this years homebrewed Barleywine will give it a run I think down the line.

20180310_214307_resized - Copy.jpg

Don't know why this picture came out blurred:confused:

Back