How to Store Opened Ferments us-05 Brick

Mike at Bay

Active Member
Premium Member
Established Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2025
Messages
253
Reaction score
229
Points
43
Location
St George Island, FL
How do you all store yeast bricks once they are opened? I am hoping to simply vacuum seal the opened package and store in the freezer.
 
Thanks all. Online it says to break the package down into the smaller packages but that seems crazy given that I typically use between 11g-22g for a 5 gal batch.....by the time I did all that it would be exposed to oxygen longer......
 
  • Like
Reactions: J A
Thanks all. Online it says to break the package down into the smaller packages but that seems crazy given that I typically use between 11g-22g for a 5 gal batch.....by the time I did all that it would be exposed to oxygen longer......
Yeah...extra handling outside of a cleanroom is just risking contamination - though as long as everything stays dry and only touches sanitized surfaces, it shouldn't be a big problem, I personally just minimize the time that the brick is exposed by opening, pouring out what I need and resealing in the vacuum bag right away.
 
How much is in a brick? I see sales on multi packs of yeast
 
How much is in a brick? I see sales on multi packs of yeast
Bricks are as cheap as under $60, maybe $80 for lager yeasts at good sale prices. The 500 grams is the equivalent to 45 typical packets. That's $1.33 to $1.77 per packet. There's also an advantage with bricks of using larger pitch amounts that may not be multiples of 11 grams. The packets work out well for very specific batch sizes but if you stray from that, you end up needing odd amounts sometimes. And if you do big batches relatively often, the brick definitely comes in handy. :)
 

Back
Top