Give me the malt bill.!.

Reaction score
I've got n ounce of Perle and an ounce of Northern Brewer. What is the malt bill for approx 5 gals? Thinking a "common"style? Alt maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Both of those hops are noted for minty and pine/evergreen flavors. The NB is probably the better bittering hop, saving the Perle for flavor.
I'd think you'd want to stay pretty simple with the grain bill... maybe a pretty straight Maris Otter English Strong Ale/ESB. Or maybe an American Amber Ale with mostly 2-row, a little Victory/Biscuit and a some Crystal 40 or 60. And maybe a pinch of pale chocolate to drive the color and and get a deeper flavor note to contrast the mint without covering it up.
I did a an extract Copper Ale with UK Phoenix (similar flavor description) that came out nicely.

Go German! Either brew a pale ale using primarily German malt (pale ale for the base, some Munich for malt backbone), use the NB to bitter and add the Perle at about 10 mins, more or less, for flavor. Alternately, if you have enough IBUs, this could make a decent Altbier.

Belgian Pil's with 10% Victory Malt. OG of about 1.050.

80% 2-row, your choice
10% Dark Munich
10% flaked wheat

All great responses thank you! Belgium Pils eh??? Interesting.... What is a decent Alt grain bill and IBU count? I have never brewed one but know those hops might work well. Thanks!

Oliver's grain bill is as good as any for an Alt. They're pretty bitter at 30-40 IBUs. Shoot for about 5% ABV.

this should be good ;)

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Altbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 75% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 4.64%
IBU (tinseth): 46.22
SRM (morey): 14.48

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - German - Pilsner (71.6%)
1.5 lb - German - Munich Dark (15.3%)
0.75 lb - German - Melanoidin (7.7%)
5.5 oz - German - CaraMunich III (3.5%)
3 oz - German - De-Husked Caraf II (1.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.38
1 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 15.85

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 120 min
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - Dusseldorf Alt Yeast WLP036

Back