Experiment time?

oliver said:
quick question on this, i've been looking to do a munich smash, and just curious as to what the Munich base malt i should use. Is it the German Light Munich (10)? Or can i go with the Dark Munich (20)? Can we experiment this?
Dark Munich is not considered a base malt and so should be limited to a relatively small percentage of the grain bill. Light Munich can be used for 100%, I think. Dunkels and Bocks use a lot of Light Munich and small amounts of Dark Munich, Carafa and roasted grains to get color and deep malt, caramel and some roasty flavors.

J A said:
oliver said:
quick question on this, i've been looking to do a munich smash, and just curious as to what the Munich base malt i should use. Is it the German Light Munich (10)? Or can i go with the Dark Munich (20)? Can we experiment this?
Dark Munich is not considered a base malt and so should be limited to a relatively small percentage of the grain bill. Light Munich can be used for 100%, I think. Dunkels and Bocks use a lot of Light Munich and small amounts of Dark Munich, Carafa and roasted grains to get color and deep malt, caramel and some roasty flavors.

just did a quick search, and it seemed a bit inconclusive from what i could find. it seemed to hover right on the line of being able to easily self convert. maybe check with whichever maltster you're getting it from. or maybe add half lb of 2row just for conversion purposes. if you're worried about that throwing things out of whack, then just add the same to the light munich one

I'm glad to hear that it took you awhile to feel comfortable joining in the conversation jmcnamara! I'm pretty intimidated by you guys!
My question/experiment is, how could you introduce roasted nut flavours to a beer.....peanuts, beer??

There's always extracts you can buy. I'm slowly coming around to trying one, but there are good ones out there.

The problem is nuts have a bit of oil, so your head is going to be ruined if you can't get rid of that.

I haven't actually tried this, but I've heard that powdered peanut butter stuff works well. I'm sure you'll be able find something quickly on google.

Fwiw, I tried to slowly bake coconut flakes to get rid of the oil so i could dry hop with them. Low and slow. Stir around every so often. It did not work for me, that thing fizzled out immediately

Peanuts - peanut butter powder or, if you're willing to give up the head on your beer, peanuts. Maybe if you could get dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts and grind them (the local Sprouts Farmer's Market has these, I believe), you could use them. Would be an interesting experiment....

Anyone have any ideas on how to do a triangle test remotely? I'm at a loss to figure that one out.

well, i do know a "friend" that shipped some stuff via usps recently. no problems getting there, but i don't know how it tasted at the destination

How would inoculating a brew with a penicillin type strain late stage to introduce blue cheese type flavours??

Rodbrew70 said:
How would inoculating a brew with a penicillin type strain late stage to introduce blue cheese type flavours??
Isn't that a Belgian style? ;-)

yeah, i've been racking my brain trying to think of how to do this. not sure if penicillin is the right way though.

maybe maybe some sort of cream ale with a slight bit of lactic in it for the twang?

i don't think dry hopping would be an option either :roll:

I did something similar based off nosybear's recipe. I spent more time looking at the cultures in Greek yogurt than I ever have looking at other ingredients in stuff at the store.

Definitely was weird to see the little white chunks as I stirred things around too

Edit: I tried it last night after 5 or so days bottle conditioning. Not ready yet. Still pretty good, but most certainly not blue cheese tasting

Back