I brewed today!

Pushing the limits of my various vessels.... brewed "cream lager" last weekend, brewed brown ale today, brewing SMaSH beer for brew club next weekend and still have the Amber from a few weeks ago to get bottled. Bottled imperial stout yesterday. Between those in process/coming up and the California Common conditioning, I can see mass distribution of beer coming soon .... or big problems for my liver. :D

Plain dry apple cider from a kit. Will get around to something more adventurous this week.

English Bitter is being racked off of safale 04 with a Pils ale dropped on the cake. Haven't done the cake thing yet so gave it a shot. Was going to do a lager but what the heck why not change it up a bit. English Bitter is good. the Pils should follow well. 4 oz of saaz in pils staggered from 60 to flame out. Fuggles and Goldings hops in English Bitter. Can't wait for carbonation. Good balance. I see why it has lasted over the centuries. Pils is the lightest beer we ever brewed so Saaz should stand out. What a fun hobbie!!!

Kettle soured blond ale. I used my sourdough starter for the lactobacillus culture.

Today I'm brewing a BIAB Scottish Ale inspired by a Brewer's Best extract kit. It calls for a half ounce each of the bittering and aroma hops. It also has 1/4 lb of smoked malt. Since the smoked malt is packaged by the pound, I can brew this 3 more times without buying any smoked malt. I only have to buy hops one more time!

My buddy and I brewed a simple 50/50 2row and wheat beer. Then we made about gallon batches from that to test hull melon, azacca, equinox, galaxy, and mosaic hops.

jmcnamara said:
My buddy and I brewed a simple 50/50 2row and wheat beer. Then we made about gallon batches from that to test hull melon, azacca, equinox, galaxy, and mosaic hops.

post results!

I'm brewing an IPA today, 2-row base, Victory and C60 in it.. Eroica bittering hops, Hull Melon flavor, aroma, and going to dry hop with hull melon in a couple weeks.

Definitely, your original post about that recipe was the inspiration
Too bad the lhbs didn't have any eroica. Next brew right?

I brewed a IPA that was primarily Summit. And I tapped a El Dorado quasi SMaSH beer that came out great a second time.

Kegging my first attempt at a clone of New Belgium Citradelic today. Made a tincture from tangerine zest, they use tangerine infused orange peels so hopefully it's not too different, because I was a big fan when I tried the original. Recipe

No brewing today, but I will be using my equipment to deep fry chicken wings. Does that count?? Go Panthers!!

i guess chicken wings would technically work for a cock ale, right?

Well, they lost. But Peyton won, so it's all good.

Its almost scary, I predicted this outcome exactly, I should have bet, 4.5 to 1 odds, damn lol

I brewed a (mostly) gluten-free pale ale. Mostly, because the sorghum syrup is so light in color and so yellow I added a trace of Sinamar to color it a bit. The wort has a distinct nutty flavor to it, will see how the beer comes out.

...and it's a reluctant fermenter. Has krauesen this morning but not much. I'm guessing sorghum isn't quite as yeast-friendly as barley.

Nosybear said:
...and it's a reluctant fermenter. Has krauesen this morning but not much. I'm guessing sorghum isn't quite as yeast-friendly as barley.

i did something similar a few years ago with sorghum and rice syrup (or something like that). I don't recall a particularly vigorous fermentation either. i probably used wlp001, but id have to look to be sure

Thanks for reminding me...I'm about to brew my first-ever gluten free beer soon out of sorghum syrup. I got something called Belgian candy syrup or something for color. I'm thinking I will really need to pay attention to required nutrients and such with this one, as you have found out. I forgot about that; I'll let you know how it goes. Will probably be doing a yeast starter as well, something I've only done once now (with my currently-fermenting pilsner) and I really liked the way it worked so readily.

@Nosybear: My wife is gluten intolerant and I thought I'd try it and see what I could do with a GF one. Any other problems/issues you've run into making it? or important stuff you knew to do?

Back