What's your next brew

Just kegged my Strawberry Lemon Saison yesterday. 3lbs of strawberries and 3oz of lemon peels. This is also my first time doing a custom water profile from scratch. I started with 7 gallons of distilled water and added different salts to make the profile I wanted. Came out to 6.5% ABV. Can't wait to try it in a few days, pumped it to 20psi while in a fridge.
PXL_20210605_063054106.jpg

PXL_20210613_232506477.jpg

@Marz Can you tell me a little about that blue-top filter (?) I see in the photo?
I'm considering a filter and wonder what you have there.

@Marz Can you tell me a little about that blue-top filter (?) I see in the photo?
I'm considering a filter and wonder what you have there.
Yeah sure, it's a water sediment filter, about $20 from Amazon or even your local hardware store will have it. Generally you install them under your kitchen sink to filter hard water. You can buy different filters for tinner or thicker filtering. I generally use 5 micron but you can get as fine as 1 micron. They can support around 100 psi without issue so using CO2 to push your beer through it to filter is perfect scenario. I use it to clarify beer before kegging, it'll remove around about 90% of the yeast and any other floaters in your fermenter such as hops. If you bottle then you won't want to filter as you won't have much yeast left for the priming sugar.

Brewed an 80 shilling today. Next up for me will be a series of German beers. Dunkelweizen up first. Then a few Marzens of different recipes and a Swartzbier. The next community recipe with fit in there somewhere obviously

Wouldn't that kind of filter agitate the beer really badly and possibly introduce O2 in it? It's a neat idea but I'm wondering why it's not more commonly used.

One could purge the system with CO2.

Agitation sans Oxygen is a non-issue. At least to me.

True. Anyone have a source for 10 g ball-lock Kegs? I’ve never found any

Wouldn't that kind of filter agitate the beer really badly and possibly introduce O2 in it? It's a neat idea but I'm wondering why it's not more commonly used.
Yeah what I usually do is hook up the filter to an empty keg and purge the keg AND the filter at the same time before connecting the filter lines to the fermenter. Although I have for sure introduced oxygen to my beer before bottling in my novice days and if I am being honest, I cannot tell if my beer is oxidized or not from taste, my beer always tastes good haha

Just kegged my Strawberry Lemon Saison yesterday. 3lbs of strawberries and 3oz of lemon peels. This is also my first time doing a custom water profile from scratch. I started with 7 gallons of distilled water and added different salts to make the profile I wanted. Came out to 6.5% ABV. Can't wait to try it in a few days, pumped it to 20psi while in a fridge.
View attachment 16211
View attachment 16212
Here is an updated picture of my Strawberry Lemon Saison, so damn good! Seems to be a bit hazy but I had just force carbonated the night before by rocking the keg back and forth for 10 minutes with CO2 attached so whatever sediment was left over after filtering hadn't had a chance to settle yet. Came out to 6.5% ABV
PXL_20210615_200344756.jpg

I'm thinking a 10g batch of Helles for the summer...but all kegs are full. I think i need another keg, and a bigger kegerator.
Looks like it'll be perfect to lager this on the cake until a spare keg frees up...

Ginger Ninja getting brewed next gunna up the ginger up the Tumeric and now thinking of adding Lemon Myrtle leaves and changing yeast to Saison yeast instead of Framgarden Kviek.

Looks like it'll be perfect to lager this on the cake until a spare keg frees up...

Ginger Ninja getting brewed next gunna up the ginger up the Tumeric and now thinking of adding Lemon Myrtle leaves and changing yeast to Saison yeast instead of Framgarden Kviek.
Sheer MADNESS!

I'm planning a Helles for the summer but can't decide on character malts. right now i'm at 91%pils, 8%vienna, 1%flaked barley or victory. not sure if i want a hint of grainy texture or none?

Back