I brewed today!

I brewed a blonde ale with Voss for the first time last month. The recommended pitch rate is 0.5 - 1 g./liter. I did a 3 gallon (~11 liter) batch, pitched on the low side of the recommendation and it turned out great. What size batch are you brewing? I’m not a Kveik expert , but 1 gram seems low depending on the size. I guess you can always add more.

Well. I am brewing a five liter batch so my pitch should be half of your pitch. I don't know your recipe, so I don't know how much fermentable sugars you have. I do know that between the grains and the LME, I have a butt load of fermentable sugars for a five liter keg!
So I figure that it is a hellovalot easier to ADD kveik that it is to get it out!
Besides, if I don't get an active fermentation, I'll add another gram.
Just as a general aside, it seems that in Norway, the recommended pitch for five gallons is one gram.
Of course, that thing I read could be blowing smoke up my butt! Hard to tell from here!
:rolleyes:

Brewed "Bloody Finger" Cranberry Chocolate Stout yesterday. Added DME to get to preboil gravity, then ended up overly planned OG 1077 as opposed to 1072. Will be bottling this one and leaving it to condition until mid December.
20201011_094029.jpg

Brewed "Bloody Finger" Cranberry Chocolate Stout yesterday. Added DME to get to preboil gravity, then ended up overly planned OG 1077 as opposed to 1072. Will be bottling this one and leaving it to condition until mid December.
View attachment 12351
Did you make a sacrifice for this brew Craig? You know it wont taste as good unless you spill a little blood for it.:eek:

No scale there. What's the volume of that thimble?

First off it's not a thimble. It is five and a half ounces volume.
Secondly, I am unaccustomed to having my honesty and integrity questioned.
If I say that the resulting yeast foam in the cup is the result of one gram of yeast, then you damn well better know that I do not lie about something so inconsequential.
And if you thought your query was funny, then you were wrong.
Have a nice day.

I have a very nice fermentation happening without being overly aggressive.
My first farmhouse ale!
Whodathunkit?

Did you make a sacrifice for this brew Craig? You know it wont taste as good unless you spill a little blood for it.:eek:
No fingers were harmed in the making of this brew, it is doomed! Last years version was whirlpool at 50F (10C) for about 16 hours while I went to emerge, and slept and stuff too, totally missed that step:confused:

No fingers were harmed in the making of this brew, it is doomed! Last years version was whirlpool at 50F (10C) for about 16 hours while I went to emerge, and slept and stuff too, totally missed that step:confused:
Heck maybe theres a new brew method cold 16 hour whirlpool :rolleyes: .

First off it's not a thimble. It is five and a half ounces volume.
Secondly, I am unaccustomed to having my honesty and integrity questioned.
If I say that the resulting yeast foam in the cup is the result of one gram of yeast, then you damn well better know that I do not lie about something so inconsequential.
And if you thought your query was funny, then you were wrong.
Have a nice day.
?

This was my reply to a particularly insulting query questioning my honesty.
Not my finest moment, but certainly not my worst!

As gently as I can, and with all due respect sir, I think that you may have taken the question the wrong way.
I suspect that Frosty Beach was just inquiring about your volume, and had no intention of questioning your honesty.
This forum is a very friendly and non-confrontational community, and I have had nothing but good interactions with Frosty.
Just my $0.02 sir.

When I believe that my integrity is being questioned, I confront.
I will restrict my activities to the recipe area.
No one has to be careful how they comment and I don’t have to be concerned about how I respond.
Win win.

When I believe that my integrity is being questioned, I confront.
I will restrict my activities to the recipe area.
No one has to be careful how they comment and I don’t have to be concerned about how I respond.
Win win.
Your choice. But before you go, I'd offer this: We can and do disagree without being confrontational. In my opinion, this is what separates us from other forums and what makes us the community that we are. I've been around this forum a long time, it's been mostly peaceful, respectful and collegial. We would like to keep it that way.

This was my reply to a particularly insulting query questioning my honesty.
Not my finest moment, but certainly not my worst!
I just took it as frosty looking for a reference of the volume. You know how sometimes people place a dollar bill or quarter next to something for size reference. I don't think it was meant to be insulting at all.

I just took it as frosty looking for a reference of the volume. You know how sometimes people place a dollar bill or quarter next to something for size reference. I don't think it was meant to be insulting at all.
Same.
I wondered about the size of the container, but I guess not enough to ask.
It did look like a ketchup (catsup) cup from a fast food restaurant.
There was no volume mentioned,
Frosty was just asking a question, apparently showing interest in what you were doing there.
Do what you gotta do sir.

Back