Hops from Boil to Primary

Daniel Parshley

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen people post that they pour everything from the boil into their fermenter. I was initially horrified and tasting grass as I read it. Question - Has anyone taken their bagged hops like Citra added in the last 5 minutes or -0- minutes from the boil into the primary fermenter? I have taken them out of the boil and noticed that they still smell wonderful. I have gone from primary dry hopping to secondary fermenter dry hopping, but dang - can I get some more goodness out of the boil hops? I'm missing how wonderful the primary fermenter smelled with those dry hop additions, too.

I have seen people post that they pour everything from the boil into their fermenter. I was initially horrified and tasting grass as I read it. Question - Has anyone taken their bagged hops like Citra added in the last 5 minutes or -0- minutes from the boil into the primary fermenter? I have taken them out of the boil and noticed that they still smell wonderful. I have gone from primary dry hopping to secondary fermenter dry hopping, but dang - can I get some more goodness out of the boil hops? I'm missing how wonderful the primary fermenter smelled with those dry hop additions, too.
I'd say most of what your going to get out of them 5minute hops has been got. Your looking for flavour and aroma mostly from them late addition hops. If you want more of that you can add some either at time of fermentation or as fermentation is winding down.

I don't try and actively hold back hop carry over at transfer into fermentor myself .
Having hops sit in the fermentor for too long can lead to grassy flavours but I've found that's come from leaving dry hop additions in fermentor tooo long.

It won't hurt anything to leave them in. Grassiness from any boil hops shouldn't be a problem. Leaving dry hops in too long can cause that, though.

I'd say most of what your going to get out of them 5minute hops has been got. Your looking for flavour and aroma mostly from them late addition hops. If you want more of that you can add some either at time of fermentation or as fermentation is winding down.

I don't try and actively hold back hop carry over at transfer into fermentor myself .
Having hops sit in the fermentor for too long can lead to grassy flavours but I've found that's come from leaving dry hop additions in fermentor tooo long.
Thanks for the clarification about where the grassy flavors come from. I always put my hops in bags or balls and in the case of the boil strain the wort to avoid off flavors from any bits of grain or hops.

Thanks for the clarification about where the grassy flavors come from. I always put my hops in bags or balls and in the case of the boil strain the wort to avoid off flavors from any bits of grain or hops.
As JA pointed as as well the boil hops don't seem to.be an issue. I've always just dumped most into fermentor. It's the dry hops that are tricky how much for how long type scenario.

I bet these grassy flavours you've expierienced have been hoppy beer that you did large dry hop charges with?

As JA pointed as as well the boil hops don't seem to.be an issue. I've always just dumped most into fermentor. It's the dry hops that are tricky how much for how long type scenario.

I bet these grassy flavours you've expierienced have been hoppy beer that you did large dry hop charges with?
So far, knock on wood, I have not made any drain cleaner and no major off flavors. My home brew mentor was another scientist with 30 years of brewing experience. He stressed sanitize, good technique, and other good advise. Also, keep it simple. I know why there are so many folks with a ton of equipment and they don't brew. I get offers for heavy glass carboys and such often. So much to learn and more questions arise as I try different things.

I will use a hop spider in the boil depending on what I'm brewing. Most of the time i dump the hops right in the kettle. As for dry hopping, I'also do both hop bags and dump right in. As the others have stated, the length of time they are left in the fermentor makes or breaks the profile you are looking for.

I will use a hop spider in the boil depending on what I'm brewing. Most of the time i dump the hops right in the kettle. As for dry hopping, I'also do both hop bags and dump right in. As the others have stated, the length of time they are left in the fermentor makes or breaks the profile you are looking for.
Do you want to share more about length of time for dry hopping, primary vs. secondary, and such? I've been doing 5-8 days (secondary) to 10-15 days (primary).

Well I don't have an exact schedule since I believe it depends on the type, amount and combination of hops you are using. I don't do a separate secondary. I will sometimes do 2 dry hopping additions for 3 -5 days each removing the first dry hop addition. For a SMaSH, I might only do 1 dry hop addition and leave it for 7 days. So I think you have to experiment with different hops and combination of hops to get your groove. I'm still working on my groove.

Well I don't have an exact schedule since I believe it depends on the type, amount and combination of hops you are using. I don't do a separate secondary. I will sometimes do 2 dry hopping additions for 3 -5 days each removing the first dry hop addition. For a SMaSH, I might only do 1 dry hop addition and leave it for 7 days. So I think you have to experiment with different hops and combination of hops to get your groove. I'm still working on my groove.
I have tried different dry hop methods and will likely go back to doing so during the primary fermentation. The flavor profile is just not the same doing dry hopping in the secondary, particularly for Citra, Mosaic, Cascade, and Columbus. Perhaps try two different additions as you have done.

If you have a LARGE AMOUNT of boil and whirlpool hops you probably don't want to dump all of that debris into your fermenter, but that is just me. Do you have the ability to whirlpool? Read: do you have a pump?

If you have a LARGE AMOUNT of boil and whirlpool hops you probably don't want to dump all of that debris into your fermenter, but that is just me. Do you have the ability to whirlpool? Read: do you have a pump?
I have been putting all hops in nylon bags or hop balls, and strain the wort into the ferment bucket to get out the remaining Irish Moss and any hop/grain debris. So many posts around about dumping everything from the boil into the ferment that I thought I'd ask about adding those late addition hops over to the primary. This site has great knowledge and I appreciate everyone sharing. I'm inclined to do as you do and continue the practices I was taught by my mentor.

A good plan!
Using a pump to whirlpool for, obviously whirlpool hop additions, but also to help speed cooling, here is where most of my hop debris ends up. The whirlpool action causes it all to settle in a cone in the center.
20191027_153210.jpg

A good plan!
Using a pump to whirlpool for, obviously whirlpool hop additions, but also to help speed cooling, here is where most of my hop debris ends up. The whirlpool action causes it all to settle in a cone in the center.
View attachment 10187
Very nice picture of the setup and result. I hope my bride keeps threatening to put me a brew shed in the back and I can go from extract and plastic buckets to all grain and stainless. I hear that is how it goes after the brew bug bites.

Back