Kettle-RIMS question...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Been working on the premise that I'll be sticking with a 3 vessel system when converting to 220 electric, HOWEVER, it has occurred to me that having 2 pumps, converting to a K-RIMS and using the Digiboil for temp control would be as simple as adding an auto sparge and setting the return valve a touch faster than the drain.

Question 1. Would it really be as simple as it looks?

Question 2. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of that set-up?

I've tried and built almost every set up possible even what you’re talking about and I moved away from the rims after burning 3 elements and beer up, the system is sound with the right safety switches but I was too lazy to install a float cut off switch if the element ran dry inside the rims tube, I still have my tube but wouldn't use it again without one, I went to the 3 vessel herms myself and love it, only had a bad batch from user error, my herms is fool proof

Been working on the premise that I'll be sticking with a 3 vessel system when converting to 220 electric, HOWEVER, it has occurred to me that having 2 pumps, converting to a K-RIMS and using the Digiboil for temp control would be as simple as adding an auto sparge and setting the return valve a touch faster than the drain.

Question 1. Would it really be as simple as it looks?

Question 2. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of that set-up?
1:It's not as simple as it looks. 2 pumps 2 controls or valves to match up.
2: it would be more of a fly sparge so possibly better efficiency but your talking about a # or 2 of grain difference. With my 3 vessel RIMS I just batch sparge and with 10 gal. MT sometimes do 2 batch sparge. It can bring liquor down to 1.02 and That puts my efficiency in the 75% range consistently. Fly sparging needs to be monitored or you can over rinse.

Last edited:

Back