Banana Bomb with a little Belgian Character

Should add that I was considering this yeast strain in conjunction with the german yeast strain.

WHITE LABS WLP570 BELGIAN GOLDEN ALE YEAST

It'll make a beer. Ferment it warm and you should get a banana bomb.

It'll make a beer. Ferment it warm and you should get a banana bomb.
Do you think the white labs wlp570 belgian golden ale yeast will add some belgian character without interfering with the banana bomb?

Last edited:
All caps or not, I have no clue. Mixing yeast generally results in a beer with characteristics of both yeasts but may not. The only way to answer that question is to give it a go and see what comes out. There are some Belgian strains that throw a lot of isoamyl acetate but I don't know the strain or the conditions off the top of my head. Fermenting Belgians warm also tends to emphasize their "Belgian" character, throwing a lot of phenols I personally find harsh and off-putting so when I'm doing Belgian, I tend to restrain the yeast. Bottom line is you're asking a question only a fermentation can answer, I hope it comes out as you want.

All caps or not, I have no clue. Mixing yeast generally results in a beer with characteristics of both yeasts but may not. The only way to answer that question is to give it a go and see what comes out. There are some Belgian strains that throw a lot of isoamyl acetate but I don't know the strain or the conditions off the top of my head. Fermenting Belgians warm also tends to emphasize their "Belgian" character, throwing a lot of phenols I personally find harsh and off-putting so when I'm doing Belgian, I tend to restrain the yeast. Bottom line is you're asking a question only a fermentation can answer, I hope it comes out as you want.
Sorry about that, didn't realize it was all caps.

thanks for the followup.

No problem. Please let us know how the beer comes out.

I usually get a little more banana than other belgian yeasts from the Chimay strain, WLP500 / Wyeast 1214, but noticed it will condition out over time.

I usually get a little more banana than other belgian yeasts from the Chimay strain, WLP500 / Wyeast 1214, but noticed it will condition out over time.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize that about the WLP500.

Just did some research on the chimay yeast, and it looks like a lot of people mentioned banana bombs at higher temps (mid 70s - low 80s). I think I will try this strain straight up to see what happens. Probably start around 70 for the first 2 days and let free rise to 82 after that. Fingers crossed!

I'll post once the verdict is in.

Had to change the recipe a bit. Swapped out the flaked barley for 1.5 lbs of cane sugar. Does this sound more like a Tripel or a Golden Strong Ale?

Had to change the recipe a bit. Swapped out the flaked barley for 1.5 lbs of cane sugar. Does this sound more like a Tripel or a Golden Strong Ale?
Those two styles are a bit of a pointless differentiation to me. They end up coming up with differences that mean nothing to Belgians just to seperate the monastic beers. Use whichever one appeals to you more, unless you're submitting it to a competition that has both categories open. If you are enter it in both?

Back