Leaking disconnects!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey brewersfriend

I cleaned me beer lines real good yesterday hooked the beer lines back up and holly Molly their leaking all but slowly out around the disconnects
I attached a clip of what's going on.

I think I need new o ring seals but not sure it's got me stuffed why after cleaning the lines they've started leaking
What have I done?

What do you clean the lines with? I wonder if the seals perish in contact with a caustic solution or something like that?

Hey brewersfriend

I cleaned me beer lines real good yesterday hooked the beer lines back up and holly Molly their leaking all but slowly out around the disconnects
I attached a clip of what's going on.

I think I need new o ring seals but not sure it's got me stuffed why after cleaning the lines they've started leaking
What have I done?

I use keg lube on the post O rings to keep the rubber resilient. They still only last so long and should be replaced periodically IMO. I'd replace them before condemning the disconnect. If you really want a mess, you'll get it when the O ring on the beer out post fails to seal :( Don't ask how I know.

I use keg lube on the post O rings to keep the rubber resilient. They still only last so long and should be replaced periodically IMO. I'd replace them before condemning the disconnect. If you really want a mess, you'll get it when the O ring on the beer out post fails to seal :( Don't ask how I know.
Been there also. Beer out poppet can also make life no bueno.

Speaking of poppets... Is that leak happening on all kegs or just the one?

What do you clean the lines with? I wonder if the seals perish in contact with a caustic solution or something like that?
Sodium percarbonate hasn't happened before this is a one off. It sure seems that way though

Speaking of poppets... Is that leak happening on all kegs or just the one?
All of them weird eh?
As you see it only leaks out of the disconnect so must be the O rings on the keg posts.

Weird thing is that when cleaning the beer lines them keg posts don't get cleaned just the lines so finding know how or why cleaning the beer lines then hooking them back up has caused the leaks.

Have you tried some keg lube Ben? Maybe change the orings on the posts again, and apply some lube.
Another thought, how hot was the water, I believe that the QD's are mad of thermal plastic. If they got too hot, maybe they became mis shaped.

Yep will try some lube when I get home later havnt tried that. Yeah the water I flushed the lines with was quite warm to hot to keep your hand in for long.

looking at that video I think the plastic disconnects are bad unfortunately, not sure if that's your problem but worth a try to replace one that wasn't used in the cleanup

Just picked up some keg post O rings will change them out and lube them up this arvo and report back hopefully with leak free beer lines;).

Well I thought some new seals and keg lube would fix these leaking disconnects.

I think I'm with @Ozarks Mountain Brew now on this one. When my poppets malfunctioned, it leaked under the disconnects. I'm guessing you either damaged yours with the cleaning, or put them together wrong if you took them apart. Plastic disconnects are cheap here in the states, I'd go buy a new one and see.
To hot of water is what I'm thinking.

Last edited:
I think I'm with @Ozarks Mountain Brew now on this one. When my poppets malfunctioned, it leaked under the disconnects. I'm guessing you either damaged yours with the cleaning, or put them together wrong if you took them apart. Plastic disconnects are cheap here in the states, I'd go buy a new one and see.
To hot of water is what I'm thinking.
Have been following ya ben and kinda has to be in disconects dont ya think? Sure ya put them back together correctly? There are a few o rings inside them. If sure of that then they could be warped. Has to be disconnects though.

Looks like time to replace the disconnects.

Yep they must be shot.
You know their less than a year old.
I had disconnects on the keggerator over 3years old.
Ah well you live and learn i suppose I can't believe I killed them with too hot water I'm sure I've sent pretty hot water through the beer lines before.

Thanks all for your ideas on this one bloody kegging can be frustrating sometimes:)!

Back